What did you do to get your DD to FINALLY poop in the potty?!

My DD is almost 4! She pees in the potty all day long! At night I keep her in panties and since I'm a SAHM now, I wake her up at night so she can go potty. (Is this the right way to get her potty trained at night?!) She still has accidents during the day when she chooses "play over peepee". But, we can't seem to get her to go poop on the potty! She doesn't even make "the face" (you know the face!) anymore, so we never know when it's coming. We ask, we take, we wait, but eventually we get to a point where I am sitting on the bathroom floor as she yells "I'm FINISHED!" We'll get up, and without fail, usually 30 mins later she poops her pants! HELP!!!

Kaydens_mommy06

Asked by Kaydens_mommy06 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (-8 Credits)
  • If she is 4 years old, she knows better. I would make her change her own clothes and clean herself up .... Be ready for a mess, but probably the last one you will ever have to clean up! :)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• No way that will work. My daughter is almost 4 as well and she has been "potty" trained for some time now. But she refuses to go in the toilet and I have made her clean up herself and it is a big mess. And since I have told her that one time to clean herself up she tries to hide it now and I find crappy underwear hid along with poopy wipes clogging my toilet. IDK what to tell you we have tried pretty much everything taking toys away, candy rewards, stickers, fake tattoos, play time, taking her out somewhere special. I am just glad I am not the only one
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 2:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• My DD JUST DID IT 5 min. ago! She was squatting down, looked like she needed to go. We have the potty chair out in our living room so she can watch cartoons or play while going. We motivated her by telling her she'll get candy when she goes. She said "I pooped, now may I have candy?"
    Anonymous

• Christyq: I'm not going to have her clean it up on her own. That's just gross! I'd have an even bigger mess on my hands!

Mommymandaleigh: She will sit in it all day if I would let her. She doesn't even tell me when she's gone in her pants! UGH!!! It's so frustrating!!!!
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• My DD pooped in the potty before she peed in the potty. She's definitely old enough to know better.
    Anonymous

• I tried everything to get DD to go #2 in potty - stickers, incentives, training the dollies, no pants, potty party...nothing worked. When there was nothing left to do, I just stopped worrying about it, and she went! I know it's frustrating but hang in there, she might just go when the pressure is off.
    toola

Answer by toola at 9:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Thanks Toola! It's just so annoying! I wonder if she even knows what the feeling means..I've asked, and she says she doesn't know when she has to go. She is behind developmentally due to her being born at 31wks, and having Trisomy X. But I don't use those as excuses! I want her to be on target with other kids her age, and this is not on track with other almost 4 yr olds!!!
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2010