my 14month old son still isnt walking? what should i do..

i have taken him to the doctor he said hes fine he said he might not walk until hes 2yrs old. i have a toy car thats like a walker to help him walk but he doesnt play with it much. he walks a lil but not really.
when i hold his hand to help him walk he walks staright but to the side.

marcelina08

Asked by marcelina08 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't worry about it! all babies are different! He will walk when he is ready!! some babies don't walk until they are well into their 2nd year!! I am sure he is perfectly fine!!
    akbogan

Answer by akbogan at 2:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I second that. If he walks, but a bit to the side when you hold his hand, he's doing just fine. Different kids start walking at different times.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• If he's not walking at 18 months I would have him evaluated by early intervention, but at 14 months? Still well within range!

Answer by missanc at 3:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Hey!
    Does he hold on to the side of the couch and pull himself up yet? Or the side of any object? As long as he is doing that and walking with you when you hold his hand. He will be walking in no time! My son had all of the walking toys and he didn't show much interest in them at all... Have you had his ears checked? I'm guessing if the doctor said he is fine then the answer is yes. I know that some kids need to have tubes in their ears. I have several friends whos kids needed them. It affected there talking and walking. But, if the doctor said he is fine I wouldn't worry. No two babies are the same and they will take off when they are ready! Good luck!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• You should give him time. My son, who is & was perfectly healthy, hitting all his other milestones, didn't walk til he was 17-18 months. He finally got up and started when we quit trying to make him and when we stopped carrying him around.
    Anonymous

• i had one that didn't walk until she was 17 months! she walks fine now, and runs and climbs too! she is very petite and dainty...i think she just didn't have the strength.
    i am sure your son is just fine! especially if he walks a little. there is a ton of development going on right now, he may just be focusing on other things too!
    good luck and don't worry!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• first off....CALM DOWN!

my oldest didn't walk til she was ready. that was 16months - drove me up the wall. and I think she knew it.

just relax and enjoy him! encourage him but stop pushing!
    Anonymous

• nothing, he will walk when he is ready and there really isn't much you can do to speed up the process. And trust me, you want to enjoy and relax rightnow. Soon enough when he does start walking, you won't get a chance to rest.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2010