Army Wives.. on or off base housing?

Where do you prefer? if its on base, is it gated? do you need a pass to enter? do you feel safer?.. we are trying to decide wheather or not to chose to be put on a waiting list to live on base or find an apartment near by, any advise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am currently on post. Every entrance is gated and you have to have a military ID or be riding with someone who has a military ID to get on post. I do feel safer for the most part. It is worth it IMO to live on post unless you can find an area where your rent and utilities are below BAH. In our case, we were going over BAH and so it was not worth it for us to live off post.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I wasn't an Army wife, but a Marine wife, and we went off base. We didn't want to rent because it's a waste of money when that money could be going toward a mortgage and a house that you can possibly make a profit on (we won't make a huge profit, but we'll get some). On base IS gated, but it isn't always the nicest, and you may be looking at a place that hasn't been updated since the 70s. On base housing can be a crap hole, and there is usually a waiting list. Personally, I don't like it, and off base was best for us. We found a nice house in a nice neighborhood and were guaranteed a loan through the VA because of my husband's service. Worked out great for us.
    Anonymous

• Check the cost of living where your looking at relocating! How much is the average rental, how much is the avg utility bill...would the BAH be worth it living off base...you can call the local PD and check the crime rate for ANY area your looking into...i would make that a priority!! ummm....i would say it would be in your best interest if you could to make multiple trips to where you will be moving, if nothing else, atleast ONE! get a feel for the area, the traffic and see if any complexes or housing developments stand out to you....i live in a military town..and the cost of rent here for NICE places can be high because apartment complexes have started basing the rent on BAH amts...and that SUCKS for anyone NOT military! I wouldnt live on base..ive seen the options...unless i needed a 3-4 bedroom (which would make the cost worth it)..theres just no way i would!....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• cont...my co-worker lives off base...and their BAH check covers their rent. utilities cell phone bill AND car insurance on both cars each month..so the base pay is basically bonus money and her paycheck goes to her sons savings acct....if she lived on base...she wouldnt
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I agree with sweets...you should check into everything before making a decision. We chose off post, that was better for us.
    MandaLynn05

Answer by MandaLynn05 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I'm currently on base, and I absolutely love it! =D I also lived off base in the same surrounding city and I hated it! I feel much safer on base and I've been much happier and active since moving on base. If you do plan on moving off base I highly reccommend YOU to go look at the place you are going to rent... because I didn't before I moved here (hubby did) and you can't always believe what you see on the internet when it comes to what the place looks like and what not. Good luck!
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2010