Stripping your membranes?

Has anyone ever had this done? Did it speed up your delivery? My ob told me she is willing to do this if I want at my 37w check up...This is my 2nd pregnancy but the first one was induced..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yep, I was 3 cm at 36 weeks... had my membranes stripped at 38 and 40 weeks and was induced at 42 weeks
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• My Dr apprently did it twice and nothing happened. I suppose it is a 50/50 chance. Good Luck!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• sorry I don't know much about stripping membranes, peanutsmommy1 how did stripping your membranes help you have baby sooner?
    Anonymous

• It didn't...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I have never heard a lot of good things about it, really. I've heard it hurts and doesn't do any good. Frankly, just let your body do it's own thing. Your due date could be off by two weeks. You're not even really "over-due" until after 42 weeks. If the baby is ready to come out, it's ready. If not, don't rush it. My daughter came out at 36 weeks, and there was a lot of worry over her lung development. Luckily, she was fine, and that was a miracle.
    Anonymous

• Hurt like HELL I almost kicked the dr in the face no lie!!!

And I dont think it helped my labor!

But I do believe sex helped! ;)
    Anonymous

• Her point was...it did NOT help. It doesn't do much of anything. Let labor come on it's own and if it doesn't, then, deal with it. 42 weeks is NOT overdue...it is still considered right on time. Letting the Doc check your cervix/strip membranes..etc. only serve to introduce bacteria.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• My dr did this at 41 weeks for me and I was in labor by the time I got home.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• And it didnt hurt that bad, just mild cramping.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I went in for my 37 week appointment doc said baby wouldn't be here anytime soon, he stripped my membranes and she was born the next day. So it worked for me.
    Sonylena

Answer by Sonylena at 4:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2010