Do you shop around for your family vet?

What do you ask or look for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Pets

• I'm on a couple Whippet message boards and I ask for recommendations from the board for vets familiar with Whippets or Greyhounds at whatever location I'm looking to move, visit, etc. Someone has always known of a vet or known a Whippet or Greyhound person not on the board that is from that area that can give a good recommendation.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• hours they're open, hours for appointments, speciality care by them or which speciality cilnic, emergency visit cost .... pretty much just like shopping for a doctor for humans.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• no-because I work for one, so I'm kinda locked in. lol. Anyway. If you are shopping, American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA)Accreditation is good to look for. Then you know that they have a set of standards that they are required to meet or exceed and are inspected by said group every 3 years to make sure it is maintained.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• for our pets having a vet service that's open 24 hours with specialty care too is important. Some vets don't have that, they refer out for care. I visited different vets - a couple on weekends one at night and other day and from that I made a choice from seeing families in their waiting rooms how they were approached and check in ways were all things I looked for
    Anonymous

• I began by taking my newly adopted SPCA cat to the vet after he developed kennel cough within a couple of days of being brought home. I was so happy with the office staff, location, and pricing that I've stayed with them for the past 4-5 years.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I compared shots and exam costs and ended up picking something a bit higher priced but better location and not the highest. All the modern equipment, etc.
    Anonymous

• I look for a vet who is friendly to me and my pet, shows genuine interest in my pet, has a reasonable price and is available in an emergency.
    Anonymous

• My biggest concern was proximity to my home, hours, number of doctors on staff, office cleanliness, friendly/helpful office person, and a vet that seems "with it" and can answer my questions.

The vet that we have chosen here, is great. My only concern is the emergent care. They refer out to a place that is 20 minutes away. If we had a true emergency, there is a clinic 3-5 minutes from our home, and we would take him there.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Well, I have rats so we had to find a vet that specializes in them. We got really lucky and a great rat vet is right now the street from us. The only thing I don't like is the lady that works at the front desk. She just referred to Brutus as "the rat" the whole time. She was rude.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 4:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2010