why if prenatal care important in normal pregnancies?

in most countries a pregnant woman don't go to midwives as often as americans go to a OB. they do see high risk women more. so why is going to the OB every month important when all they do 90% of the time is check your urine and weight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• its not for a normal pregnancy, You can check your own urine at home (yes they sell the strips) and check your own weight and BP. This country spends the most money on pregnancy care and is ranked one of the worse countries in the world in materinal care.....we are clearly doing something wrong and women are brainwashed to treat pregnancy as a medical condition
    Anonymous

• To make sure that your pregnancy is considered "normal".
    Anonymous

• so if there any problems, hopefully they can catch it.
    Anonymous

• To ensure that pregnancy stays normal. Not all normal pregnancies stay that way. Mine didn't.
    Anonymous

• To make sure things stay normal.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• agree with anon 34, things can change quickly I would rather go in every month and find nothing has changed then not go and find I have a serious issue too late to do anything about it. Besides this is very much like one of those "if your friend jumps off a bridge will you?" questions, We have the ability to check on our babies and to make sure we as the mothers are healthy, It is preventative care just like routine check ups for kids and yearly exams for women, We have the tools to take preventative measures why wouldnt you use them? Just because "most" of the world doesnt or cant? Why should we not use the services we do have available, maybe in most countries women wish they were as lucky as we are to have the services offered.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• it's not necessary at all if you know how to assess your own health. some women check their own urine & blood pressure. i think if a midwife isn't checking those things, you should do it, just so you could detect a problem that might not have any other symptoms.
    Anonymous

• I see a midwife. I like working on establishing our relationship. She's helping me through something new to me. She does a lot more than check my urine. I have parallel care through an OB and it's a waste of my time and $. Your point is valid. American medicine is totally different from the rest of the world, as is the way our culture views health.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• That little urine test can be important and so can the measurements!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 5:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• lol!! cows out in the fields dont go and see a doc every month.... im prob only going once just to get a ultra sound and then to have the baby
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 7:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2010