Has anyone used the My Baby Can Read program?

If you have or know of anyone what are your or there thoughts on it?

skeeter1970

Asked by skeeter1970 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it is a waste of money. If people take the time then they could teach their kid to memorize things too.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I learned to read and write before I was in kindergarten. My mom read to me and recited the alphabet. I don't agree with any program that says you should park your kid in front of the TV everyday, especially a baby - just my opinion.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Honestly, I talked to my older DD's (5) teacher about buying it for her and my baby (8 months), and the teacher told me it was not teaching them to read, it was teaching them words. You can buy a set of flash cards at the dollar store and teach them to remember words. LOL
    Anonymous

• I think it's an over-priced scam. Your baby will be better off if you spend time talking, reading, and singing to them.
    Anonymous

• My sister inlaw used this with her baby. I thinks its rediculous, she brings the cards with her everywhere and tries to show people what he can do. I've never seen him do anything. If anything the kid is delayed he is 17 mos. old and just started walking and does say any words yet. He also has an extremely difficult temperment and cries constantly.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 4:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• WASTE OF MONEY!

there was a consumer report about it a few weeks ago - saw it on the news. they said that its a crock.

Anonymous

• thats not reading, its called "sight reading" all they do is memorize the way the word looks, they don't actually learn to apply the rules of phonics to read. In my opionon you'll have to re teach them in the future and it will be harder then.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Don't bother. You can teach sight words yourself for almost free, and reading to and with the child and teaching them words yourself is MUCH more interactive than a video. Also, don't forget to rhyme as much as possible!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 8:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2010