Are some fringe theists atheophobes?

Question after question, answer after answer atheists are attacked because of their lack of belief. They are told they have no morals, compared to murderers, rapists, thieves, and worse. They are told they are blind, childish, hateful, fools, narrow-minded, and countless other insults. Are they so hateful because they are afraid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• what frightens me are those who can conceive of no reason other than avoidance of punishment from the big sky daddy to behave in a civilized fashion.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• The central defining teaching of Christianity is that you must believe in God and Jesus in order to avoid burning in hell. So of course they fear non-belief, since they think it leads to suffering. To them, non-believers are willingly allowing their souls to roast forever, and people who do that must be evil in some way.
    Anonymous

• for me its not fear but a great sadness. It is their choice but it breaks my heart to see so many reject God's love.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• It is born out of not understanding. We fear what we don't know. And I think it makes some people question what they themselves believe, and that scares them even more. And what do we do when we are frightened? We attack.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

actually that is misteaching of what Christianity is about. The problem is when people become too dogmatic and think that they know everything that the are not practicing what Jesus was all about. The scientist have a closer understanding with God than theologians, I believe. The reason is that they admit that they do not understand the true nature of God. And you can be Christian and believe in God in the metaphysical scientific way. Anyone who says they understand God and know what his plans are wrong. Nobody knows. God can not be explained. Many religions and people have been trying to know Him but can n
    Anonymous

• The Gospel says to "go and make disciples" and many people take that very seriously. My in-laws take it extremely seriously. They feel compelled to try to convert people by any means necessary: love, hate, bashing, threats of eternal damnation, hug attacks, praying over people ... anything to get through to the non-believer.

FIL thinks atheism is contagious. He tries very hard to distance himself from people who are non-believers to protect himself and his family. He feels tested by God when he encounters non-believers.

They are just an example. I'm sure other people have other motives for their behavior. But those are the only vocal anti-atheist people I know.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I don't know that it's fear. Many who behave that way, do so because they were raised to believe that atheists are just bad, and that one cannot be a good person without God. Others are just people who will act superior for whatever reason they can and feel they have found a good excuse. I'm willing to bet most of those act superior not just with atheists, but anyone who acts or feels differently than they do in any aspect.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 5:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Well some of us athiest believe the same about the religious types.
    mckennasmum

Answer by mckennasmum at 6:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I know auto. We hear many times on here and IRL people say that if it were not for their faith that they would be bad people. Now that is scary.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• "The central defining teaching of Christianity is that you must believe in God and Jesus in order to avoid burning in hell. So of course they fear non-belief, since they think it leads to suffering. To them, non-believers are willingly allowing their souls to roast forever, and people who do that must be evil in some way. "

I don't see how we could be evil for standing up for our beliefs. If we are wrong, and burn in hell, it's not because we followed something out of fear, it's because we followed something in our hearts. THere is nothing evil about that. If I'm to be punished for not believing in something that hasn't made itself known in my life, that is no fault of my own, nor will I bow to it in the end to try to be forgiven for something that I had no control over.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2010