What to do?

About a month ago, I got a call at work from my sister saying that she had driven past my house and saw some guy on my porch, like he was coming out of my house. She gave me a description of the guy and his car. When I got home, my laptop was missing out of my living room. My sister, who lives about a half a block away from me, came down and helped me file the police report. Now, I have learned through a series of events that my laptop is in a drawer in my sister's dresser. I don't know how to approach her without involving other people (who told me it's there) or having her toss it to avoid getting caught with it. What would you do, because I honestly don't know which way to go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Thats horrible! Im sorry.. Why dont you look in the drawer acting like your looking for something else and just "come acrossed it" That way she wouldnt know you knew it was already there and you wouldnt need to explain who told you. Otherwise, I would just go to her house and tell her you know its there. Dont tell her how you found out. Tell her its none of her business, that is if more then one person knew.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I'd go over to her house one day and check to see if its where you've been told it is. Filing a false police report is a crime. If the right person tells the police, you could be in trouble to. To avoid any "extra" trouble, its better you handle it privately. It would be better to have the conversation with your sister than having to explain it to the court. It will be awkward but at least you could address it with her and find out the story.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• On the chance that the people who told you are mistaken, - it could be another laptop and not yours- I don't know that I'd confront her. It would be nice if you could get that drawer open to see. If the drawer is locked, there's no way you can ask her to unlock it to let you see what is in there, though. Perhaps you could offer a reward that she wouldn't be able to resist.

Answer by Bmat at 5:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Your SISTER STOLE your laptop?!! That is FKD UP~! I'd do what Sophie said though, go over there and when she uses the bathroom or something tell her you were looking for a pen...wow...& get better locks and NEVER invite her over again! That's unreal! I'd probably wanna move to east jezuz kansas to get away from her if it were me!
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 5:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• OP here: I know for a fact it's mine. I just paid to have my keyboard replaced a few months ago, so the keyboard on my particular computer does not match what originally came on that type of computer. Here's what happened...my nephew, my sister's son, told my mom that he went to get a clean pair of jeans and found a laptop in his drawer. My mom has since checked it out when my sister wasn't home and matched it to my description. My sister has actually stolen from me before and denied it even after we had a picture! She's not going to just admit it, which is why I hesitate to confront her directly. What a mess!
    Anonymous

• Go over there casually and look in the drawer. Then take it and confront her.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• call the police, with your mother and have them go check it out. since she has stolen from you before she needs to be punished.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• 1) call the police and have them go see or 2) go there and get it
    Anonymous

• Ok, so what are you really afraid of here? You will be able to tell if it is your computer by what is on it and identifying it physically. If it is your computer, then get it back. If your mother could check it out before when your sister is gone, go with her and see if its yours (if you need to do it that way). If it isn't good for you, if it is... take it back. Like I said, you've filed a police report. There is potential for a lot of trouble for you.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 6:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• could you have some of the people that told you it was there look to see if it is? maybe take a video or something?
    I think you could sue her to get it back if you have witnesses-
    good luck! I'm sorry this happened-
    Anonymous