Work schedule interferring with feeding schedule, suggestions please.

I'm currently breastfeeding and working fulltime. I don't get my daughter home from daycare till around 6pm. Usually I breastfeed her around 6:30 and then she falls asleep and we put her to bed around 7 or 7:30. I'm starting oatmeal and baby food with her and am having a hard time figuring out when to give it to her. I know everyone says to give her the food after you nurse, but how do I do that if she is asleep for the night. Can I give it to her before I nurse? I can't breastfeed her earlier because she isn't hungry. They usually have just fed her around 4 at daycare. Suggestions?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Solids follow nursing to preserve your supply and make sure she gets adequate nutrition. Nurse and give her solids in the AM. DOn't worry about PM.

You can also let the sitter give the solids when you're gone. But if baby gets one teaspoon solids a day, that's PLENTY because your milk is baby's primary nutrition all the way to the first birthday. Solids are for experimenting only.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Maybe have the daycare do it for you at lunch time or just after the 4pm feeding? That way she can get at least one in and you can still bf her at night. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• BTW...you nurse at 6:30? Good. Solids the moment she unlatches. No waiting. Solids are her dessert. Then bed at 7:30./ But be warned...solids before bed can make them wake more at night.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• She falls asleep on me, so I can't do solids after. I will try to get it in during our morning feeding or ask daycare. Thanks for the ideas.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2010