Cold sore or pimple?

So hopefully someone can help me figure this out. I have a bump on my upper lip and I cant figure out if its a cold sore or just simply a pimple. Ive never gotten a cold sore before but its not uncommon for me to get pimples around my mouth. I did however have a first kiss this week with a new guy im dating..but I've never noticed a cold sore on him before and Ive known him for a while. The bump is reddish and raised (like how most pimples are when you know they are about to be those horrendous ones) and hurts only if I touch it. What are the tell-tale signs of a cold sore? Do you think it could be a cold sore or just a pimple? If it cold sore what actions should I take against it? Like I said, I've never had a cold sore before so I dont know about this stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Health

• A cold sore hurts and itches. Sometimes as it is starting to flair up it will have an itchy buzzy feeling in that area. It has a clear liquid that weeps from it. It will eventually get a yellow crust on it as it heals. They are extremely contagious and spread on your face. You should notice if little blisters are forming where pimples don't get those blisters. Once you get a cold sore, you will get them again and again.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• A cold sore will tingle and itch, a pimple will not.  Also a cold sore is like a fluid filled blister.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• a cold sore is a lot more swollen then a pimple and is filled with A LOT of clear fluid which is very hard and painful to squeeze out...i've never known cold sores to be red...just a swollen bump
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• oh and yes there will be tiny white blisters around a cold sore....it sounds like its a pimple
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• sounds to me like a pimple.. I get them around my mouth all the time. My doc says they're caused by blocked sweat glands. I do get cold sores but mine are always ON the lip and not on the edge. I can always feel them coming on.. I usually don't notice a tingling sensation but I always get a bump under my lip that keeps getting bigger until it surfaces. When it surfaces, it's painful and itchy and burns if I eat or drink anything.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Look up pictures that will give you a general idea. I have had a pimple or two near my lip but never on it. You could also go the dr and have it swabbed for the hsv antibodies if you are really concerned.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2010