Is there any other reason besides suffocation why newborns can't stomach sleep when they are on your chest being monitored?

My daughter falls asleep better when she is on my chest. My doctor said that she can have tummy time but not a lot. Is there really a reason other then the fact that they can suffocate themselves as to why they can't lay on their stomach when monitored? Just wondering if I should get her out of this as far as SIDS goes. If it's not just suffocation.

Acutey999

Asked by Acutey999 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• so in other words let her be.. mine sleep like that and he slept more peace full. you know as a mother.. and if you ever lie her in her bed on her stomach there are montior that u can buy and place under the matress and if anything happens,, missed breath or etc it alarms u
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 5:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• seriously???what a quack!!!

if she's happy, let her!

my middle had to sleep on tummy because of severe reflux - on her back she screamed bloody murder.

Anonymous

• There is no reason that a baby can't sleep on their tummy while being monitored. The only reason they say no is due to the increase risk for SIDS. If your baby is happy then let her be.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I believe if you google it, there is something else having to do with your breathing. When they lay on your chest and feel your chest going in and out, sometimes while they sleep their body will try to mimick this breathing and it could cause their breathing to slow to much. Something like that. I agree with above statements though. My husband let our daughter sleep on his chest all the time in the recliner and I always supervised. She was fine.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• if you research and see (but the drs dont want u to know this) alot of sids case are actually linked to vaccines. Japan did a study by changing the ages that vaccines were giving from 2 months to 2 yrs old and quess what sids nearly disappered. I have went round and round with these drs.. with all my research there is no reason ever that i will vaccinated my child again.. they are the cause for more healthy problems later on.... asthma, ear infections, sids, atism, and etc and that is just to name a few
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 5:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• no, and if it were my kid, she would fall alseep on my chest. Though non of my kids ever have... not sure why, they would do it with dh, but not me. Dh says its because I breastfed them. He says, "who goes to the grociery store to sleep?"
    Anonymous

• The first year and even now my daugher took most of her naps on my our daddys chest. As long as she is with you I see no harm in it. My DD was very sick and had Apnea fits when she was a few weeks old so I always had her sleep on me so that I could monitor her breathing. It was amazing bonding time for us. She stills humms herself to sleep because she is so used to us singing to her when she napped.
    mckennasmum

Answer by mckennasmum at 6:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2010