Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my sister here for/ after the birth?

I'm "due" May 30th. My sister lives on the West coast and I'm east coast. She wants to be here when the baby comes. She is a med student and her term lasts until June 23rd. She is able to take off several days toward the end of the term to come stay and be an autie for the first time without negative school consequences.

Should she buy the tickets now for May 30th and plan to stay for like a week? Should she wait until I call her and say "my mucous plug fell out" then scramble to buy a ticket and get here quick? How did you coordinate family? Any money saving tips on the plane fares?

I know believing in a due date or scheduling anything when it comes to babies being born is ludicrous!

Answer Question

Asked by ecodani at 5:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 20 (9,526 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • With that kind of distance? I would not plan for her to be there for the birth at all. Her schooling has to come first. While you're DUE May 30, you know that due dates can be off by as much as two weeks either direction...and once your water breaks you could have the baby in your arms at ANY minute. SO telling her your mucus plug is coming out might be prepping her to rush out...and then you're waiting a week and still haven't had the baby and she needs to go back to school.

    Have her finish her term and come out after; she can then wait on you hand and foot. AND she can book a less expensive flight by doing it in advance. Med school's pretty pricey!

    Answer by gdiamante at 5:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Well, she wants to be here. I've given her the option to come and stay after her term, but she decided completely on her own that she wants to be here as close to the arrival time as possible. It won't interfere with her school. She has flex days. Med school is free for her. She's an MD/Ph D aka slave to the NIH! Lol!

    Without even consulting me, I found out today that she has augmented her summer research schedule to suit a fetus. She has the option to just drop everything when I go into labor and get on a flight. I'm just not sure that's logistically the best option. I'm trying to throw as many ideas at her as possible so she can plan as best as she can.

    Answer by ecodani at 6:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Ahh.

    She needs to keep in mind that a flight is five hours coast to coast if direct...longer if connecting...and that's just AIR time. There's also security screening and transit to/from airports to consider. Coast to coast can be an eight to ten hour proposition...if she flies out as soon as you call her she might miss it. And if she comes too early...she might miss it.

    If there is any way she can come a week before the due date and plan to stay for the better part of a month, that might be the best thing. If she can buy a non-restricted ticket, then she can fly back earlier.

    She needs to keep in mind that auntie's duty for the most part is care and feeding of the new mom, too. Newborns are kinda boring...they eat poop cry and maybe sleep a bit. **grin**

    Answer by gdiamante at 6:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • My midwife did something like this for her pregnant sister. She took a whole month to fly out and stay with her. The due date was in the middle.
    But by the end of the month, baby hadn't come and the MW was planning to come home.
    She ended up extended her stay an extra 2 weeks and the baby came in the middle of that...

    What is the saying... ?
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."

    Answer by doulala at 8:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • id say have her buy a ticket for the week after you are due, and if you deliver before then she can try to move it up, but that way she will definately get to meet the baby. it may be a week or so late, but its better than being to early and missing it all together

    Answer by erika_wright at 2:41 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • If it were me I would have her come at 41 weeks, because as you know 95% of women go into labor by 42 weeks so 41 weeks is a safer bet for her to come, she might miss the birth but it isn't very likely.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.