If Christ died for our sins, why do many Christians support laws that make what they believe to be sins illegal?

They are against gay marriage, but isn't free will part of the covenant with God? They fight against health care for all, but isn't charity part of their belief? They oppose taxes, but aren't they supposed to reject earthly wealth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• anonymous 11:34, the christians are nortorious for discriminating all in the name of god. our nation would be in the crapper if we all believed the same way. If you want to be in a country where only one religion rules then try living in a third world country. and here I thought the dark ages were over and you believe that its one religion. shame on you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Why would we vote FOR sins to be legal? Wouldn't voting to make them legal only condone the sin? What about free will you ask? Well, we have FREE WILL to vote against it. My stance on the health care bill isn't religious... it is just a bad bad plan! Nothing good will come of it. We don't have to reject money and wealth on earth unless it comes between us and God. We can enjoy life and if we work for our money, we can use it. But, we realize that GOD has given us those gifts and can just as easily take them away--they aren't OURS exactly. It is when we put our money before God that it is a problem... we have to be willing to give it up to follow him if it comes down to it. Not ALL of my political beliefs are based on my faith... if the taxes are unfair, I oppose them. If there is stupid legislation, I oppose it.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Oh... and yes, Christ did die for our sins... but that doesn't mean that we can go about sinning and get away with it. We have to repent, ask for forgiveness, try not to sin. It is a two way street. No one gets into heaven without accepting Jesus, following HIS path (not your own), repenting of sins.
    Jesus' death does NOT equal free ride into heaven.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• They are against gay marriage----- FOR THIS TO BE " COVERED" BY THE HE DIED FOR OUR SINS THEN GAYS WOULD HAVE TO REPEAT BEING GAY AND FIND GOD, THEY WOULD HAVE TO SAY THEIR LIFE STYLE WAS A SIN AND STOP IT.
    JUST SO YOU KNOW
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Just becasue Jesus died on the cross for our sins, it is not a free ride to do whatever we want. Yes, we are forgiven... but we should also strive to live a perfect, blameless life as Christ did. But no, it isn't a 'pass' to do whatever we want.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Because they only believe in free will if it is something they themselves might do.
    Anonymous

• Its called sticking their noses in other peoples business and presuming to know what is good for all people according to THEIR personal religious beliefs. DESPITE the fact that this country is made up of many, many different beliefs. NOT just the christian idea of god.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Answered at 4:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 by:

* missbreezy214

missb...
    Why would we vote FOR sins to be legal?

-------------------------------------------------------

You *could* just not check either box. Neither vote for nor against. Just let it be.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Whether I vote FOR a "sin" or not at all would be the same thing... I have every right to vote. I could say the same for you... I disagree with your stance therefore you could just not check the boxes either. Then we would have no decision and no republic. I can vote based on my beliefs, and you can vote based on yours or your lack thereof.
    So you are saying that I should limit my choices to "Oh, its ok to sin, I'll condone it." and "Eh, I am not good enough to express my opinion that its a sin. I'll let everyone just decide FOR me"? Ha! No thanks!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• "They are against gay marriage----- FOR THIS TO BE " COVERED" BY THE HE DIED FOR OUR SINS THEN GAYS WOULD HAVE TO REPEAT BEING GAY AND FIND GOD, THEY WOULD HAVE TO SAY THEIR LIFE STYLE WAS A SIN AND STOP IT.
    JUST SO YOU KNOW "

Double standard. Sinners get to marry every single day. No one stops them from getting married. Yet gays can't. Yup, double standard....to cover up discrimination and hate.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2010