Is it normal to have contractions at 31 wks? I've been having them 2 minutes apart and more than 6 in an hour. What is wrong with me?

I've been in the hospital twice and they have stopped them both times but they have stopped stopping them. They say its normal but if i start having more than 6 in an hour im suppose to come back in. I go back in they dont do anything. They also say my ligaments are stretching which they also say isnt normal at 31 weeks.

m2bin08

Asked by m2bin08 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They could just be Braxton Hicks contractions

Braxton Hicks contractions - BabyCenter

How to recognize these painless uterine contractions that happen throughout pregnancy.
    www.babycenter.com/0_braxton-hicks-contractions_156.bc -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• trust your instinct. if you feel like you need to keep going in to your dr. then just do it. pregnancy and baby growth is SO individual, your baby may be ready early :) good luck :)
    retz

Answer by retz at 5:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• you might be in for early labor and 31 weeks the baby can survive outside of womb - they may put you on bed rest - your cervix can soften too early and sad to say if it hapens once it will hapen again - if they do put you on bed rest for this any children you have after this one will have the same effect and you may want to be on bed rest earlier with any other babies so you dont deliver before your baby can survive outside of the womb.
    and i must say stay on top of your doctor about this - if they dont do anything - go to someone else for advise.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• awww sweety, you are so normal! i had labor at 23 wks with my little guy, it was false but seemed real i kept going to the dr they sent me home. I didnt care, because it made me feel better knowing i got checked. you do what makes you feel better and at ease. good luck!
    Sarah
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 7:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• It may be braxton hicks to preterm labor. If moving around, getting somthing to drink or a bath or something makes them subside I'd call them Braxton Hicks contractions, if not then I'd march your butt into L&D and have them try to stop your labor, it's way to early to have that baby. It can survive but it will likely have to be in the NICU and have some long term troubles due to being pre term.

And I have to disagree with VAKATIA (sorry nothing personal) but just because this hoppens with one pregnancy does not mean you are doomed to deal with this in any following. I went into preterm labor with my 2nd pregnancy and was on meds from 7 months on, but in my pregnancies since I've had NO problems as all. It's like they say EVERY PREGNANCY IS DIFFERENT. I EXPECT bedrest this time around because they are twins, but from what I hear that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a necessity.

Good luck I hope all turns out well.
    misty1_sd

Answer by misty1_sd at 11:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2008