Live by the Spirit, Galatians

A great message in Church yesterday...

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are lead by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious; sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
~~Galatians 5:16-21

SO... the sinful nature is obvious... then WHY do we keep going back and doing the very things that draw us AWAY from God?
WHY don't we live by the Spirit, so we are under NO law??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, we ARE human! And, yes, SATAN sneaks around and tempts us... just as he did Jesus. But, since we aren't perfect as Jesus, sometimes we give in. We are only human. That is an AWESOME passage...
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• It's just human nature to do what you consider "sins". I think it's ridiculous that your god would give you these natural desires, and then punish for being the human that you are.
    GIve me a break!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• then WHY do we keep going back and doing the very things that draw us AWAY from God?
    ---------------
    "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. " Romans 7:18-23
    Cont.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin." Romans 8:24,25 "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1,2

The difference in "walking in the flesh" and "walking after the flesh" is that the former seeks its own things, while the latter seeks after what is pleasing to God. As followers of Christ we may fall into sin, but we do not practice it. We are going to struggle, but we 'have yet to resist to the point of bleeding' in our struggle. (Hebrews 12:4)

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• " I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Gandhi
    Anonymous

• OP are you a part of one of those cowardly "Gods army people"? The folks that follow people around and write down their plates? Like if they are at a stripper club or a sex toy shop, you think you are doing Gods work by harassing them. Are you a part of that type of busy body group?

Why would God give us such wonderful gifts as desire if we are to fight it all the time? I don't think God is as vengful as you would like to think he is.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you had a good sermon in church yesterday. Many find out the hard way that by choosing to live without any godly law, they're unknowingly choosing the law of sin and death. And that's what it is. Those actions, while forbidden in scripture, feel good to people, for a time. Then come the consequences.

Yes, it's our nature to do what feels good, but God didn't leave commandments and instructions just to be mean, or so some can think they're the stuff for doing good deeds all the time...God left those instructions to keep us from facing painful consequences.

But He's not going to force anyone to listen. Real love is given freely, which is why He lets every person freely choose what they will.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Answered at 7:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    OP are you a part of one of those cowardly "Gods army people"? The folks that follow people around and write down their plates? Like if they are at a stripper club or a sex toy shop, you think you are doing Gods work by harassing them. Are you a part of that type of busy body group?

OP HERE -- I am NOT one of the people you are describing. While I don't agree with stripping, it is no way to show the LOVE of Christ to pass judgment on them. And this 'gift of desire' you speak about, it is NOT a gift... it is sin nature. God is NOT vengeful... He is perfect and deserving of our praise. They aren't 'gifts' if they cause us to stumble, others to stumble and sin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Because we are flawed and human. And we have created a deity who demands a level of perfection that his own "son" couldn't even live up to. By our own nature we are prone to imperfection. And we are condemned by the god we created, to the hell that his warped mind created. No one can be perfect. Even Jesus was bigoted and had a short temper. There's no way to win. So, I find that message anything BUT inspirational!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2010