My 19 month old son has just developed a major sleeping problem. Is it normal?

My son has always been a problem sleeper but recently he's begun to wake up in the middle of the night and after naps..screaming and crying inconsolably. He doesn't want to be put down but he doesn't seem to want to be held either. It takes about 30 mins to an hour to calm him. He gets so upset that he can't breathe. We've tried everything but nothing seems to help, it more or less has to run it's course so to speak. It's very scary. Is this normal? Once he calms down, he's a regular happy toddler again, that makes it more confusing.
We've gone as far as pack him up and take him to the hospital in the middle of the night. He cried the entire way there but once we pulled into the parking lot, he stopped. He was all smiles and ready to hang out. We of course, couldn't take him in the emergency room then. We'd be labeled hypochondriacs for sure. Our pediatrician doesn't really seem as though she has any ideas. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Growing pains maybe? Are his teeth bothering him?
    Anonymous

• Night terrors? Maybe teeth.....IDK.
    3galsmomma

Answer by 3galsmomma at 8:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• yes very normal. My son who is now 4 1/2 did the same thing. My daughter who is almost 11 did this..... had sleep terorrs and still sleep walks when she is very tired. My little girl who is 2 wakes up like your son as well, not often, only sometimes. Hang in there he and you guys will get through this very normal process. Half the time they are still asleep while they are doing this and really don't know anything at all. I use to wake my dauther up and then found out that is one thing you should not do. Check for the normal things of course. By knowing how your child is during the day and his schedule you will know whether he is over tired, sick, etc. I read this book "Solve Your Childs Sleep Problems" by Richard Ferber, M.D. Great book..some very noteworthy things in there. He calls (what u described above) "thrashing spells"......anyways from one mother to another......GOOD LUCK!
    mom25nstafford

Answer by mom25nstafford at 6:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2010