anyone give yogurt to their 7 1/2 month old yet?

I was wondering..my dr. said I can start yogurt and said to get Dannon or Stonyfield...I just saw that Gerber made a banana yogurt...does anyone know why it the dr. just recommended those 2 kinds?? i tried the plain yogurt and she hates it :(

kyliegirl28

Asked by kyliegirl28 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try yobaby
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• i gave alexis yogurt melts! :). Yogurt should be fine. your child shouldnt choke on it. seems safe. but watch out if his/her mood changes. if he/she gets cranky, could be upset belly from yogurt.
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 7:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I started my DD on the kind that has Dora on it, it's made by Dannon. I picked that kind because the consistency is a bit thicker than regular yogurt and sticks to the spoon better. She had no problems with it and was about 7 or 8 mon when we started that as far as dairy.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 8:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I get plain, whole milk yougurt and mix some fruit into it (like unsweetened applesauce, or a jar of baby food fruit). I don't think the actual brand matters so much as what is in it. I get a brand that is only whole milk and cultures, nothing else added.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Plain yogurt is good when you mix it with a little bit of baby fruit or a sweet vegetable. My daughter still loves (she's 1) bananas and sweet potato mixed with yogurt. If the yogurt is running a little thin, add a tsp of rice or oatmeal cereal (no milk needed) to thicken it up. The cereal also helps fill baby up so theyre not hungry an hour later.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Yobaby yougurt is the best! My DS absoultley LOVES it! It has vegetable fruit and yougurt in one!
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I gave my son yogurt when he was 6months old. He did fine with it
    Anonymous

• the key is whole yogurt, not lowfat. That's the big deal. the gerber kind is fairly new on the market and your doc may not know about it. You may also want to check the sugar contents and get the one with the lowest. The gerber is definitely the most affordable option.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Dairy is an allergy trigger food and should not be given to a child before age one. Pediatricians are rarely the best source for nutritional information.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I gave my dd Yo Baby yogurt at 7 months and she LOVED it!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 16, 2010