I think my 8 yr old has a UTI

can this be managed at home, or do we have to go to the doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Maybe it is, maybe not. My daughter used to tell me it hurt when she peed and her doctor said it was just a little sore, like when kids get diaper rash. He said to just use any old baby cream on her. I did and she's fine. But if she has a lot of pain or blood in her urine get to the doctor.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• UTI needs an antibiotic. Dont wait till your daughter has blood or high pain level. Just take her in.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Give her cranberry juice. Make sure it is 100% pure cranberry juice, not cocktail. It is usually located by the produce, not in the juice aisle.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:55 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My 9 year old had chronic UTI's because she had difficulty staying dry at nighttime and also had accidents regularly during the day. The wetting thing is called enuresis and some kids just have that issue-- my son also had it (so 2 out of my 5 kids) but boys don't get UTI's as a result. The first time she had a UTI she had no symptoms except her pullup smelled--sorry-- fishy. She had no pain, no fever, no discomfort. So I learned that when that smell came back to take her in. Every single time I smelled that odor, she was positive for UTI. Over a period of 4 years, it happened more than a dozen times. It never went away unless she was given an antibiotic. I was told to be careful and to get her on medicine ASAP b/c of the possible danger of kidney scarring. Not to scare you, but take her in...
    CharmaineC

Answer by CharmaineC at 2:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2010