Soon to be military wife....questions.

My husband is looking into joining the military. He cannot decide between the reserves and active duty. I know he wants to be active but will not go active unless I am okay with it. I want him to be happy so I am trying to figure out what is best for our 15 month old in the future and for us.

For those of you who are military wives....reserve or active...

What is it like for your kids? Is it really as tough as people make it out to be? I can handle him being gone and I can handle me taking care of things. But I want to finish school, (most can be done online if needed, im a web design and programming major) and I want what is best for our daughter. Here she has her whole family, if we move she will only have me and him.

Advice? Sorry if this goes in another section...

SpiffyMom

Asked by SpiffyMom at 7:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it is a great life, so many benefits and no fear of husband losing his job. some times it gets lonely moving to different places but they have the family readiness group and other things to help families get closer.. My children are doing great and they have lots of things like playdates and activity centers for children. It is tough to be away from your husband and people growing and changing, but we all grow and change anyway. i would definitely recommend at least trying it out. it looks good on a resume too.
    Plus you can sign up for 3 years and then decide if you really like it.
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 8:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I agree with the PP. It does offer nice security and good benefits, especially if you want to finish your degree. You can find good inexpensive or possibly free daycare. The separations are hard, like REALLY hard, but it makes the homecomings that much sweeter. I would recommend active duty because you get the best perks that way, such as housing allowance and full medical. Our son is 8 months old and even though my husband isnt high ranking, Im able to stay home due to the financial benefits.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Another plus of going active duty is that you could get stationed over seas, we spent 3yrs in Germany and it was great. There is also the down side of being a military wife, he is gone sometimes for long periods of time. True you may end up far away from family, but you may also find other places where you love living even better then where you are now.

On a more serious note, depending on what his job would be, it is a steady income. Which in this day and age is not something to be sneezed at, not to mention the medical. Some military jobs will transfer over to the civilian world easily, but not all. That's also a big plus.

I had some problems with being an army spouse because it was hard for me to make friends, so I did end up fairly lonely at times. It just depends on what sort of a person you are.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2010