my daughter is a WHINER!

She is 21 months, and I'm about to freak!! It makes me want to SCREAM!!!! aaaahhhhh :-)

I have tried ignoring it, tried redirecting her, tried just giving her something, tried putting her in time out, discipling her, etc. and NOTHING seems to work! I am going crazy, what is an EFFECTIVE way of dealing with whining?! :-(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IDK momma. I never had that problem. Does she just whine....or does she use words and whine?
    3galsmomma

Answer by 3galsmomma at 8:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Don't give in tell her she can have what she is asking for when she speaks in a big girl voice, constantly remind her to use her big girl voice, applaud her when she is using her big girl voice. Stick to it. And if you catch yourself or someone else (an adult or older child) in the house whining point it out to them to stop because she may be picking it up from them.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I agree with Qand A...rewards for speaking in her big girl voice I think will work wonders.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• um, not to be mean, but are you sure that you don't whine? or maybe someone that she's close to?
    my cousin's kid would whine just about every time she talked - and she was about 16 years old- no one seemed to notice but me that her mother did the same thing.

just a suggestion- I can't talk, mine has picked up stuff from me that I didn't realize I did.

could someone at school or elsewhere whine and she say them get what they wanted?
    something to think about perhaps-
    Anonymous

• My 14 month old is a whiner too! Of course he can't talk very good yet so he can't exactly say "hey mom i'm hungry, or I want that" so I realize it will happen but he does it all day and it drives me crazy! When it gets to the point I am gonna scream...I put him in his room to play or lay him down....even if he isn't tired and let him play in his crib. Good luck..
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Mine is 19 months. She doesn't have a lot of words yet, but I have tought her please (ok it really sounds like pea). So now whenever she starts whining for something or going eh eh eh eh, I just look at her and tell her to say please. She caught on very quickly. She's even starting to say thank you, in her own adorible way that only we understand. Soon I'm sure instead of whining or eh eh eh she'll just say please. Unless it's not something she's allowed to have. Then we may have a fit throughing situation. In my house she gets her warning and then it's off to the naughty corner for 1 minute. That took a while, but it works like a charm everytime now! Every baby is different as are parents, but it can't hurt to try this. At the very least you hopefully will turn out with a very polite child. But you have to stick with it and be consistant! Let me know if you want further details on how these techniques work, because if you do
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• them incorrectly they will totally backfire. Not like it's some involved training session you need. Just some helpful hints that are too long to write here. I'd be more than happy to help! Good Luck!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I know how frustrating it is having a whiny child hanging on your leg. I have two whiners, a 6 year old & a 17 month old. OOOHHHH, the DRAMA!!  I do not respond to whining.  I treat it as a foreign language.  I tell them that I do not speak Whinese. 

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Just out of curiosity, how long did you stick to each thing you tried? For my daughter, I consistently ignored her whining but told her what I wanted her to do. She mostly whined for food so I taught her some sign language so she could let me know what she wanted. I would tell her "I will give you this but you have to ask for more [insert sign]." Just don't give in and stick to whatever you decide to do! Good luck! :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Ignore it... the whinning will go away when she realizes she does not get a reaction. I would continue to discipline when she has shown unacceptable behavior, but if she is just whinning and she knows it irriatates you she will continue to do it. It's one of their many ways to manipulate us to get what they want.
    prettyeyedmommy

Answer by prettyeyedmommy at 9:26 AM on Mar. 16, 2010