If you have split custody can you move out of state?

I know it's different in every state- i live in WI

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well i live in WY and when we moved CO all I had to do was notifiy the courts on where I was going, but I dont know how it would work in WI.
    Anonymous

• Could you and should you are two different questions... what will be best for the children?
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• check it out at www.womenslaw.org then link on Know the Laws and look up your state
    Anonymous

• Moving out of state = child and dad spending less time together. Have you discussed this with the child's father? He has a right to contest the move.
    Anonymous

Agree
    Anonymous

• Gee, I thought fathers only get to see their kids if the mother deems them worthy. *sarcasm*
    I didn't know there were women on CM who understood that fathers have rights. Good to see!
    OP - I thought split custody was when the child lives with both parents? At any rate, if the father has visitation, you will have to go to court to get it modified in order to move out of state (unless you can manage to move out of state and maintain your current visitation schedule, which is unlikely). A good judge would not rule in your favor, IMO. Fathers are not disposable. A father's role should be equal to a mother's. They are BOTH parents and one is not more important than the other.
    Anonymous

• Me and my daughters father have split custody of my daughter. I talked to my daughters father and he knew the situation I was in. At the time it was best for me to move. I wasnt working and was in jeopardy of losing my apartment so I moved back home to stay with my family. He lives in GA and we now live in DC, so thats 658 miles away. I told him that when I got on my feet and found a job I would return but for now we have agreed on a custody arrangement. He meets me half way every 3 months and she stays for a week or two and then we meet half way and he returns her.
    We didnt go to court or anything because we agreed on it and he was fine with it.
    Try talking to him and seeing what happens
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• in indiana any move - even accross the street - no matter what the visitation arrangement is by either parent is suppose to be sent by notarized or registered mail to the other parent and the court 90 days prior to the move to give time for the other parent to modify custody/visitation if neccessary. I am sure there are other reasons....but that is the main reason listed that i saw.

i agree with the above posters. will this move be what is best for the kids.

" Fathers are not disposable. A father's role should be equal to a mother's. They are BOTH parents and one is not more important than the other. "

'Moving out of state = child and dad spending less time together. Have you discussed this with the child's father? He has a right to contest the move."

serious things to consider.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I'd like to know the answer to this as well because my BF has full custody (BM visits the kids 2x a month) but because of financial reasons we will need to relocate out of state and want to find out how to go about it. My BF doesn't think BM will have an issue as long as reasonable visitation is established but I'm not sure how that is done.
    Anonymous