My son is SOOOOO rude to me!!!!

But he is wonderful to everyone else. How do I fix this?? It is not like he gets away with it with out punishment so I don't understand why it continues. I thought maybe because we were fighting and yelling - so I am putting forth my best effort to be sure to not snap at him when not warrented and be as nice as I can, but nope that doesn't do it either.
Tonight he actually clapped his hands at me like a dog to try to get me to come here - OMG I had to walk away because I thought I was going to kill him. Like I said, its not like I allow him to walk on me so I don't understand. I am a single mom and I bust my ass to take good care of him and honestly besides being just plane unacceptable behavior - it seriously hurts my feelings.
I am working full time, taking online classes, dealing with my sick father ect ect andwhile the while making sure he has all that he needs ect - so WTF.
I guess this is part vent. :)

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• A hard age for sure. Constantly challenging limits for freedoms. But you really need to lay down the law with him NOW and he will learn that disrespecting mom is NOT going to be tolerated. I agree with musicollie...be consistent with punishment when he does things like this to you. Sit him down and go over how things are going to be so he can't say to you later "I didn't know you didn't tell me" etc.

Good luck. I don't envy any single mom! My sister is a single mother of twins and has been on her own with them since they were around 2. I am always here if you need to vent :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• children learn what they live. stop teaching him bad behavior. The dog thing was funny though. lol u didn't mention how old he is
    Anonymous

• How old is your son????
    Anonymous

• He is 6 1/2.
    And anon 8:52 - that was pretty rude! I do NOT treat him like that, so don't blame me for teaching him bad behavior!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I don't think it's funny at all. It is VERY disrespectful. And how dare you judge the OP saying she is teaching him bad behaviour. I am fairly certain she isn't the only person he has contact with during the day. Get off your friggin high horse and if you're not going to help someone with your answer why don't you keep your comments to yourself?

OP - sorry about the moron who answered you anon up there. How old is your son? Is he in school/daycare? How much time does he spend with his father? Does he have any siblings?

Vent away sweetheart. It's the only way for a lot of us to keep our heads from exploding lol...
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I'm having the same issue with my 8 year old. I'm also a single mom going to school online. I've never allowed him to get away with it whatsoever, but nothing I seem to do helps. His 5.5 year old brother behaves well and does not act like this with me or anyone else.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• first off, i only speak from experience, i'm 43 and my kids are 22, 21, 19 and 17. They were plenty rude when they were younger, but i learned. Number one, don't yell. there is no reason to raise your voice, you're the mom, end of story. When arguements begin, tell your child to have a seat and we will discuss it (of course, you'll listen to him, but it's always gonna end in your favor). Remind him he needs to speak to you with respect or the discussion will end, to be continued when he has calmed down. And always remember, No means no, not ask again. And never bargin out of anything you believe in. I hope this helps alittle :)
    mouse1085

Answer by mouse1085 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Kids tend to act out with the person they are most comfortable with...in this age, YOU are the lucky recipient. When is acting rude towards you, give him a warning that if he does it again, he will sit in a time-out for 6 minutes. Follow through. Let him know you won't tolerate disrespect in your home.
    Anonymous

• meant to say , "In this CASE"
    Anonymous

• Allergic2Stupid - thank you. The last thing I need while I am sitting on my couch crying is to be shit on some more.
    He is 6 1/2, in first grade, goes to before school care, and karate for after school 3 days a week. He does not see his father at all, and while he has siblings from his father he doesnt know or see them. Just me and him in our house.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2010