cloth diapers versus disposable

likes and dislikes, just an all over comparison to see which one is better...please compare the diapers in detail

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• uhm pro's for cloth

All natural, no blowouts, no rashes, no chemicals, good for the environment

cons

uhm... they're addicting?

pros for sposies... uhh... they're not as cute so you don't buy as many?

cons for sposies, diaper rash, leaking, blowouts, chemicals, carcinogens, bad for the environment, expensive, wasteful, crappy, ugly, smelly
    tiny_mama

Answer by tiny_mama at 8:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I really dont have any dislikes of cloth diapers, but I do have many dislikes with disposables.
    Cloth diapers have WAY less leaks especially with breastfed poo. Cloth doesn't stink like disposables do when peed in nor do they have chemicals that are unhealthy. Cloth gives way less rashes than disposables. They can be just as convenient depending on type and to be honest your supposed to dump the poop out of disposables anyway so i dont see a difference. You never run out of diapers in the middle of the night and have to run to the store. it's easy and convenient to cloth diaper out of town and on trips as well. Many cloth options also offer a Green disposable insert for outtings, etc as well. Not to mention the money saved while using cloth diapers is awesome, especially if you have multiples in cloth
    The only positives i see with disposables are that they are thin and dont take up as much room in a diaper bag or on a shelf
    Carissa11906

Answer by Carissa11906 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I admit, I've never used cloth.

Pros of disposables, The initial output of money is less. I am certain it is much more over time, but there is no initial huge chunk of money out.

I can just throw out the dirty diaper I don't have to clean it out.

Less laundry.

I don't know if it's more or less convenient otherwise because I never have used cloth. I've briefly considered it and even researched it a bit. Just isn't worth it to me.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 8:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• honestly, I prefer disposables. I refuse to regularly wash something that has feces and urine in it in my washing machine. I don't trust that its hot enough and I would be disgusted to scrape out the poop. I did want to try some variations, like g-diapers, but ultimately, I've heard that the newborn to 3 month olds have lots of blow-out issues with them...and actually with cloth in general (and that comes from people who cloth diaper) as well as being too pricey since you have to keep buying inserts. however you get blow-outs with disposables until you find a good fit. I used pamper's swaddlers until she grew out and then luv's worked the best (and are cheapest at target +coupons). We bought a diaper genie and use regular trash bags as inserts. works great, no odor and cheap! What kind of diapers you like best depends on how they fit your baby and vary, but I hated walmart brand. they really get soggy even if they aren't.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Cloth are cost effective. I calculated my costs. I paid $800 for diapers and wipes that will last me 3 years. Disposables would cost me $1500 per year. That's pretty good savings right there. I calculated my cost in electric and water before and after cloth and there really wasn't a difference so it isn't eating up energy like some might think.

The one downside to cloth is if you work and need to use daycare. Finding childcare willing to work with cloth has been a thorn in my side. It can be frustrating if you get leaks and are inexperienced with cloth. The daycare used powder on my daughter's tooshy and that makes the diapers not absorb and it took me a while to put it together. You have to then strip the diapers which takes a while and is annoying.

I've done both. I choose cloth. It is a tad more work but even with me not being a SAHM I feel it is worth it. I actually find the time I spend folding diapers relaxing.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• We just started using cloth in the past two months. The two months that we used disposables cost a lotta money & dirty cloths. I think disposables smell gross, like chemicals. No matter how often we changed her diaper, they always (Pampers & Huggies) left little gel pieces from the absorbent stuff in the dipes. I love the cloth - yes, there is an initial chunk of money spent, but I really enojy not having to spend cash on diapers now. And prefolds & covers are pretty inexpensive. We've had no blow-outs, we never run out, they're easy to use, way less garbage - so many pros. I don't have any cons. We do use Seventh Generation disposables for when we're out & about - they don't leave gel on my baby, aren't bleached, and don't smell bad.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Cloth Pros
    It's cheaper in the long run
    they are cute
    better for baby & environment
    no chemicals
    never had a rash since switching to cloth
    never had a blow out since switching to cloth
    Cons to cloth....an extra load of wash every 2 days or so

Pros to disposables
    quick & you can dispose easily
    that's all I can think of

Cons to disposables
    full of chemicals
    smelly
    more compact & takes up less room in the diaper bag.
    If you read the package of disposables you are supposed to dump the poo off of them & into the toilet so its not any different than cloth there. Cleaning cloth diapers is not too bad. You can get a sprayer to rinse the poo off so you don't have to touch it. If you have a blow out in disposables, do you wash the clothes that are pooped on, yes, so it's no different than cloth there. If you're worried about disinfecting you can put a few drops of tea tree oil in the wash,
    mamabens

Answer by mamabens at 9:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• If anyone else is taking care of your child, disposables are so much easier for them! Also, cloth diapers to me always look so bulky and make their butts look huge. I've used disposables for all 4 of my kids and never had issues with diaper rashes or leaking of dirty diapers.

Answer by missanc at 7:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I've used three different brands of disposables (mostly when traveling) and every one of them I've had a poo blowout, probably close to 60% of the time she poops. I thought maybe I was using too small of a size and went up a size. Still had a blowout.
    I've had a poo blowout with cloth twice in the six months that we've been using them.
    I use prefolds with a cover for around the house and then pocket diapers when out and about or when someone other than myself or my husband changes her. Pocket diapers or All-in-ones are essentially like disposables except you have to remove the insert. But if you stuff the diapers as soon as they are out of the wash, then getting a new one is a cinch. The only con really is having to remove poopy inserts. But I wash my hands after poopy diaper changes regardless of diaper (cloth or disposable) so that really isn't a big deal to me. Also the extra wash isn't that big a deal, either.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:22 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Another con, though to me not a big deal, is the big butt. She probably wears a size larger than what she would if she were in disposables and a lot of pants don't even begin to fit her. Some brands and types are better than others. Okie Dokie from JC Penny fit her really well. Also Jumping Bean from Kohl's. Most Carter's pants fit, but not all. Jeans are probably the hardest thing to find that fit her well. She's also a chunk, so if you have a skinnier baby with cloth you may not have the same issues I do.
    Other Pros - 1. you can reuse the diapers on subsequent babies or sell them 2. Better for the environment, although that is debatable. Disposables have chemicals and fill up the landfills, but cloth uses more water. To me, more water is the lesser of the two evils. 3. Cloth have no chemicals, you buy organic if that is your thing, etc. 4. Super cute!!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2010