Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 year old brother in a fist fight? Can CPS do anything?

This is a cry for help from my brother. He has some serious emotional issues from everything he has been through and is still going through.
He is 10, CPS has been involved 3 times we know of from the school calling because my brother comes to school all bruised up.
He has always been a little violent and has been suicidal since he was 3 and threatened so many times to kill people.
He is a great, smart kid, but he needs help. He beat the crap out of a boy next to him on the bus because he was talking too loud while he was trying to read.
My sister and I are scare he will be one of the kids who snap and kill people at school.
Do we contact CPS with our concerns? Who else can we contact? Our mom doesn't care.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

Answers (10)
  • Contact CPS and the doc - he may need to be commited for a little while to recieve the help he needs
    good luck

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • If it were me I would consider getting guardianship, and taking care of him myself or sharw with your sister so that he gets help.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • How about a Doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • I would first consult a dr. he needs major psychological/psychiatric help. the sooner you head it off, the more likely he'll rebound to have a more normal life. if you think he's being abused (which seems likely considering his issues) you do need to go through some means of getting him away from his parents. hopefully one of you sisters could step up for him and take over. maybe your parents would even just let you take him if you asked? I don't know exactly how to handle that part, but he really needs medical help or this will have a sad ending.

    Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Contact them. Why anon here when you show yourself in newcomers?

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • I would say contact CPS and just be very honest. Maybe they can get him into therapy.

    Answer by txdaniella at 9:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Talk to the school counselor and ask for some resources. It does sound like he needs professional help, and the school guidance counselor has information about where to go next. Also worth a trip to the dr. and get a referral for a child psychiatrist.

    Answer by musichollie at 9:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Yes indeed, do something quickly. It seems to me he needs psychiatric help. (No offense at all).

    Answer by my2kids312 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Anon, because I don't want every single person I know IRL on my friends list to see this. That is also why I deleted it in Newcomers. It is a sensitive issue. I have no problem saying who I am. My SN is Isra1986, but I did not want people who know me and my family to see this and judge us by it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • If your mom doesn't care then yes you should call CPS. Your brother has some serious problems and if your mother isn't willing to help him he needs to get help from somewhere else. My son isn't this bad but he does hit kids because they are talking to him and he wants them to stop or just because they are talking and he is trying to do something. I am currently trying to find a counseling place for him.


    Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:20 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.