Is it normal for my 5 year old to reference his penis in alot of his talk?

i've made it clear he can do whatever he wants in his room in private...that it's normal to be curious but that no one may touch t except him. He talks about it alot - How do i stay casual and not make him uncomfortable and yet still send the message that it's not social talk?

akadk

Asked by akadk at 8:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He will outgrow it if you don't put too much emphasis on it, once they discover their penis, the facination never ends!

Answer by older at 8:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• He's proud of it! You know how males are with their members. Why do you think they name them,its their mini me! :)
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I think you are handling it well. Just keep telling him that or when he references it, bring him aside (not in front of any one else) and tell him that the topic is not for discussing with others. If he has questions, he can ask you or Daddy but otherwise, he should keep those thoughts and words to himself.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• He's a man in training. That is all they think about. He really will get out of the habit of talking about it all the time. Maybe just change the subject when he does it in public or when company is around.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• LOL it is a boy thing. I am lucky I just told my son that we do not talk about our private parts. It is not nice to talk about them. Unless he has a question about it and then he comes to mommy and asks.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Thank you everybody! I feel soooo much better
    DK
    akadk

Answer by akadk at 11:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2010