smokers- sort of a spin off

ok is it just me or does this seem typical of smoking relatives to loose their sense of reason? seems like it's common sense to not smoke around a pregnant woman- but yet they just don't seem to want to listen to reason when it comes to getting that smoke and insist that they can smoke around the woman anyhow.
even if it is their house, I would think they would be willing to go outside. The health of their soon to be grandchild would seem more important than being 'right'
I know it's a addiction but I really don't understand!
can anyone offer insight that smokes maybe?
Other than if 'they don't like it they can leave' - I have thought of that, looking for something with a little more depth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My in-laws did this while I was pregnant. I smoked before pregnancy, quit during the whole pregnancy and seven months of nursing, and then started smoking again (worst mistake ever). Sadly, it is an addiction so you justify these things to yourself even though of course no logical person thinks it is ok to smoke around a pregnant person, but you tell yourself "oh, it is just a little bit" or "it is not that bad, I opened a window" etc, etc, etc. The only thing I can say is not to take it personally. It is just about getting the fix- I know that makes it sound like heroine or something but it really is that much of a drive to have that cigarette. Did your DH say something to them about going outside or someplace like the basement or garage while you are there? My in-laws said "You don't mind this do you?" and fortunately the hubs said actually we do so please go out and they did. But we had to press the issue first. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I'm glad you DH spoke up!
    thanks- just didn't get it!
    Anonymous

• It depends on their age.

For example; regardless of whatever new (or not so new) information there may be about the hazards of smoking and pregnancy.

It was as little far back as the mid 1970's where women in labor would have their gurney's wheeled into the hallways of the hospital so they could have a cigarette! YES! In the early stages of labor; women were allowed to have 'smoke break's!!

So; if your in-laws (or parents) are of a certain age. The experts; the tv; the news; the internet; you; your DH can show them; tell them; explain to them all the facts about the dangers and risks - they may have the mindset...it didn't hurt us; we all turned out just fine...I'll do what I "know"...

Not saying it's necessarily right of them; just giving you a possible perspective as to where they're coming from. GL
    Anonymous