Brushing toddler teeth

What tricks or tips do you have for brushing a 19 month olds teeth. My dd has all but her last four molers. She loves to be a big girl and brush them herself, only she chews, bites, and sucks on it. I try to get her to let me help. She will for about 10-15 seconds and then she wants to do it. She does love to "brush" her teeth all the time (like 5 times a day). Any comments/suggestions?

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 9:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is 3 1/2. When we started brushing her teeth, I started doing it first, and when she would tell me she wanted to do it, I told her to let Mommy do it, and then she could finish. She's in the habit of me starting and her finishing up! I only do it so I know they're all clean! lol
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• What worked for my toddler (for a while, lol) was holding toothbrush with him, like my hand over his hand, and moving his hand to brush his teeth.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Let her watch you a few times, act like it's fun. Then help her by holding her hand w/ the toothbrush while brushing. This worked for our son and he loves brushing his teeth now.
    caroline123

Answer by caroline123 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Since she'll let you do it for a couple of seconds, maybe take turns?
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I work in a school where we teach special needs children essential skills, such as brushing teeth. What we find that has helped us in that is having a mirror close to where they can see themselves really good. Then you get eye level with them and show them in the mirror how you brush your teeth and then you ask them to do it. It has really helped our students. Then we make a big deal out of it like "Oh my, your teeth are so bright."

As for what I do with my daughter, she is 12 months old and we only brush teeth with water right now, I do it right after bathtime and she only has 6 teeth all in the front so it does not take me long. I may be asking for advice when she gets older, but for now...I can not help on that aspect.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I do it as fast as I can! We let him stand on the toilet, and I give him something to distract him. It doesn't take him long to want to take the toothbrush, either, but I try to eat least get one good pass before that happens. I've had to fight him hard enough that I had to do it while he wailed. You're not alone! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2010