Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone who home schools in WI know if I can pull my kids out

of PS and begin HS them right away while I wait for the form to arrive in the mail?
Due to harassment from teachers and other staff toward my kids I do not want them to attend one more day! My 7 yr old is saying she'd "rather kill herself than go back and face her teacher or the principal". Enough is enough and I am NOT putting them through this torture any more. If you know WI HS laws....please direct me to information. I cannot find it. Thanks!


Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

This question is closed.
Answers (9)

    Just let the principle know and withdrawl your kids. Or call the district office. That's who you will most likely be reporting to anyway.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • You might have better luck finding someone who can answer this question here:


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • I was going to reference the same PDF. Go over the school's head to the district superintendent. You may be able to go to a different school TOMORROW, if you can't get homeschool clearance fast enough.

    Answer by gdiamante at 9:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • you don't need to get clearance though, bc you do not have to need to ask permission to homeschool...hs is legal in all 50 states. however, i would certainly recommend calling the district rather that the ps itself. GL!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • What county are you in? I am in Kenosha, County. I may be able to help more. I know a lot of people in the educational system in Kenosha and they may be able to tell me where you need to go. I would definately call the Superindentent of schools or the state department of public instruction. NO child should feel that they would rather kill themselves than go back to school.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • I live in Dunn county and the school principal has been harassing me from the day they transferred in when we moved into the district in November. I live in an apartment complex and one of my neighbors' kids both say that not only is it true that my kids are being tormented by the staff, but that they are as well.
    My kids were turned in for truancy for missing 8 days of school when they had chicken pox. We went to the first informal hearing today and we were told that if we "think" our kids are sick from now on, we are to send them to school and the nurse will determine if they really are and have us come pick them up if they are sick". I have a child who has a chronic medical condition that requires she miss a lot of school, and when we first started I asked them to do some home bound school in that situation and I was put off. Now, that's not "something we do - you just need to send them anyway".

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • No. The state has to have your form before you can homeschool. Don't just mail it in, send it certified with a return receipt so you know they have it and legally you are in the clear.


    Answer by BlooBird at 10:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • Bloobird -
    I thank you for your answer, but I simply cannot send them there! It is atrocious and you wouldn't want your kids going there either.

    gdiamante -
    There isn't another school in our town. We'd have to go to another town about 20 miles away. They won't accept them w/out a transfer and this school won't transfer them.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

  • The first poster reference an HSLDA pdf file. If you can I would join them and get the legal help now! Especially seeing you are already being targeted by the school. I really do believe that bloobird was right you have to wait for that letter and she's right send it CERTIFED MAIL WITH A RECEIPT and KEEP that receipt with a copy of the letter!


    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2010