Ladies please help us...

My husband and I have been thinking about him getting a vasectomy. He thought it would be a good idea to type it on here so we can read your responses before we make our final desision.

So we want to know... How long was the recovery for your hubby? How long did the procedure take? How painful wad it on a scale of 1-10 10 being the worst pain ever? Was your hubby able to go back to work after? How long does it take to feel the way he did before surgery 100% back to normal? How does the doctor know that it works or not? Do they do a blood test or something to find out if the procedure had worked? Has your hubby had any problems since then? Feel free to answer anon cuz i know its an odd topic. But thank you so much for those of you that answered the questions. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Good luck with whatever you decide! xoxo
    Anonymous

• My Hubby had it done Feb 2008, he's not had any problems since. He had it done on a Thursday and was back to work on the following Monday. He does heavy haul, lifting chains, binders, 300 lb tarps, etc. He was fine. He used frozen peas for the swelling and ibuprofen for the pain, and rest. Although he was out changing the oil on our jeep and Range Rover 2 days after the surgery. His pain was about a 6 , but it eased up pretty quick. He didn't have the test after to see if the sperm were gone but we weren't worried about it... 2 yrs later and no problems.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• my husband had it done over 28 years ago
    no regreats its a out patient sergury and he is soar for a couple of days they tell u all that
    they get sperm specimen from him later and they check that
    not blood work its a pretty simple procedure and yes he can got bak to work in a day
    girl if i would have had my husband get fixed i would have a football team
    he will be fine everything works the same as before except no more babys
    cherylc1962

Answer by cherylc1962 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• My uncle had it done on a Fri and back to work on Monday. He never mentioned any problems. He didn't complain about pain.
    Anonymous

• He has done them and he said most guys do very well. Some have no pain at all. Now my hubby did have some pain for a few days. He has said he is the only one that he has seen like this. He had his cut, burn and tucked so they could never get back together again. He took a week off,. For other things you need to talk to your doctor.

Very important do not have sex after the procedure without protection. (still need protection) He needs to get tested about a couple of weeks of sex to see if there is live sperm.

We are very happy he did it, no more birth control!
    Anonymous

• How do they do the test to see if there is still sperm?
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 10:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• My hubby was too chicken shit to do it. I had to get my tubes tied. Which by the way, is actual surgery, not an office visit. So if your hubby is willing to get it done, then pat him on the back for me.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• It's really not that big of a deal. My dh walked in, was there for about 20 minutes (right at the doctors office). Walked right back out. Came home, laid on the couch for a day and a half, watched movies. I would say a week TOPS before he was back to normal. They'll give him a jar to take home, and after 2 weeks you bring it back with the cum in it and they check for sperm.
    He only missed 2 days of work.
    But just in case, I had my tubes tied as well ;)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My husbands best friend had a vasectomy and within a week his testacles turned purple then black. His doctor treated him and got the bloodflow back but now, for over a year, he cannot get an erection and it's really affecting his marriage. My dad had one done and my Mom says to never let my hubby get one because it will "ruin" him whatever that means I didn't want details. My hubby would never consider one after witnessing what his friend went through, it was quite traumatic.

Vasectomy's have high success rates but there are a few bad outcomes so just make sure you know and trust your doctor and educate yourself on all the possible complications. Oh & they assure the surgery was successful by having your hubby donate a sperm sample then looking to make sure there are no lil swimmers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I would rather get my tubes tied then take the chance that my husbands stuff would get messed up. Luckily for me after I got my tubed tied my sex drive increased.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2010