Are we considered our father's race?

My husband is Puerto Rican (he was born there) and I am white. Is our daughter considered Puerto Rican? Also on the census form I filled out today it said that Hispanic is not considered a race. I don't understand that? Thx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• from what I've been told my whole life, you're what your mother is.
    Anonymous

• Hispanic is a culture, not a race.
    http://campello.tripod.com/hispanic.html
    Anonymous

• There are black and white hispanics so like anon says, it's a culture not a race. My son's father is P.Rican and I am white. On all papers they have my son as white.
    Anonymous

• I always thought you were what your dad is. So I have been told. My ex is Puerto Rician/Black and so I consider my daughter black because I am. Yet she is fair skinned with really thick curly hair.
    Anonymous

• you are with whatever you identify with. Your daughter is puerto rican american...if that makes sense..
    Anonymous

• How can you just be what your mother is? Obviously you're half of what your father is too, like it or not. Would you say a child who was born to a white mother and black fahter and has dark skin is white? Wtf sense does that make?
    Anonymous

• I've always heard that the kids go by what their father is.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I'm black, my son's father is white...I consider my son to be black.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon 1038. My daughter is half white, but I consider her black. I'm the one that gave birth to her. I'm the one she lives with. I'm the one who takes her to appointments, etc. I'm not trying to deny her white father, btw.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• I think it's whatever the child identifies with and in most cases whatever race they look like they tend to identify w/ that. But that's in my experience. And I think Anon filled you in on why Hispanic isn't a race.
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 11:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2010