Is there any major US group with a more disturbing moral code than...

...those who believe that the ONLY reason not to commit crimes like assault, rape, and murder is the threat of a metaphysical spanking from an unseen father figure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If for some that were the only reason not to commit such atrocities then Yay to that! Better that curb to their conscinece than no curb at all I say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• There are many reasons not to harm others-- compassion and empathy, respect for others, a recognition of the guilt which would follow such an act, etc.

If you insist that the only reason not to commit murder is the potential for punishment, you are revealing that you do not consider compassion, concern, guilt, or empathy to be barriers to intentionally causing grievous harm to others. A lack of these traits is generally considered a hallmark of antisocial personality disorder, more commonly known as "sociopathy" or "psychopathy."
    Anonymous

• Morals come from reason, logic and knowledge. Not from what might happen to you in the afterlife.

Love the way you put the question. :)
    Anonymous

• yeah, I know who you're referring to, but most of us choose not to commit crimes because well they're bad. and because we don't want to. and while I love and trust in this unseen father figure you're referring to, all I have in my heart is peace not violence. I'm not even tempted to do stuff like that.

but you know what, there are a lot of people who do not have this unseen father figure in their lives and they are tempted to do stuff like that, and I know people who have had a change of heart because they got saved.

yea, there is something more disturbing than a Christian. that would be someone without God, without hope, without reason.
    Anonymous

• Sleepy?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• Wow, sounds like you’ve got some issues. You should work on that negativity before it sets a bitter root.

LOL, JK
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2010