Has Fundamentalist Christianity driven people away from religion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Without a doubt! We humans are self-centered animals. We don't like to be told "thou shalt not". We want to be free to think for ourselves and develop our own moral center (at least SOME of us do). The strictures of fundamentalism are like a set of heavy chains. It's hard to know who you REALLY are while trying to drag them around. I think there's a reason that religiously raised teens tend to do the most extreme rebelling. They get tired of hearing "NO" all the time and so they get the deepest into drugs, sexual promiscuity, and so on. Christians can PRETEND to be devout and obedient, but they can never stop being the animal that they really are inside. Eventually, they can't keep up the hypocrisy.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• The mormon church is what drove me away from religion...
    Anonymous

• some people, yes. but some people are driven away by Christianity in general (as in its just not for them).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• That depends... Yes for some. Others don't like christian doctrine in general, etc.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• i was a confirmed catholic but religious intolerant fanatics drove me away from Christianity... i still love God but i don't believe in religion...i formed my own opinions and beliefs and i'm happier because of it.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Maybe so, but what should preachers do? Misinterpret or change what the Bible says, so it fits popular opinion? That would be a shame. That wouldn't even be teaching. I'm sorry that the Bible offends so many people, but even modern medicine has discovered reasons behind many of it's commandments. If people are turned off, theyr'e turned off. Even though people change, God doesn't.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Yes, I think some of the more extreme practices have, such as burning books and campaigning against gays.. They have certainly made a mockery of christianity and organised religion.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Yes. It drove me away.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• With some the issue isn't in what they were taught or how they were to treat and be treated. It is that their own personalities don't suit such ideas or lifestyle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Yes
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2010