Has anyone ended a nursing relationship then started back up later?

My son just turned one and has been nursing up until this cold he just caught. He is too stopped up to nurse and so we've stopped. I am about 20 weeks pregnant and plan to nurse the next kid as well. Should I offer to continue breastfeeding my first born when the next baby arrives if he wants? I didn't plan on weaning him until he was ready.

Would it be wrong of me to offer him the breast again in a few months if he chooses to continue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• this was my exact situation. I gave the toddler expressed milk. You will probably find that the newbie is nursing up a storm any way, and that another one is a lot to handle. I do know that some ladies on here have relatched. I lost the burning desire about two months after she weaned.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I wish i could have but with this next one whatever i have leftover i will give to dd (shes 15 mos so a bit old....) in a sippy cup so according to me, nope. its fine! BUT i AM going to talk to my pediatrician seeing as DD will be 22 mos old when the baby is born........
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 12:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• If you can pump, I'd pump for now and give it to him in a sippy, then relatch right away when he gets better. Taking several months off, then starting again... I dunno. I didn't, although I had to stop nursing DS at 3 weeks. When his sis was born when he was 21 months, I started giving him expressed milk, because it just seemed weird to me to relatch him after that long. BUt 4 to 5 months off is a lot different than 20 months off, too.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2010