Is there any point in debating Religion with the Religious?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it is as important for you to put your own beliefs out there, even if they are different from a christian. You can only keep speaking the truth about their god and their book (I have often used their own bible and its blatant contradictions). You never know when some godslave will hear and ask themselves, "Why am I doing this??!!". And to reassure Miss Breezy--I WAS a christian for nearly 30 years and I DO know what I'm talking about...regardless of which side I'm speaking from. Your bible really does say those things and your god really does or has done what I point out to you. That many believers refuse to see these truths is their problem and speaks volumes about their religious beliefs.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Yes,only with those that still have a little bit of critical thinking left.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 11:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2010

• who better to know a religion than those who follow said religion?

unless of course you want a one sided debate where everyone agrees...but thats not really a debate now is it? :)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:00 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Sure... but not if you don't know squat about it or you come into it being all judgmental yet you accuse the "religious" of being that way. There is nothing wrong with a good old fashioned debate. Keep it respectful and don't call it all myth... Christian, pagan, wiccan or otherwise. It's plain old rude.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• You can debate it, but you aren't going to change what some people know from experience. ;-)
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Not really. Anytime I mention something they try and convert me and tell me I'm wrong. Mostly because I say if god created everything(which they say) then he created the good, the bad, and the ugly(which they don't believe). They pick and choose what they believe god created but then say he created everything.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Not really because no one, no matter what they till me will ever convince me that God isn't real...and at the same time, it's not my words that will ever convince someone he is.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 12:55 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• If by "debating" you mean to attempt to change another person's mind... then,no.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• sure you can debate religion with religion. It may not change your POV, but at least you are seeing into the other side of the argument. That can lead you to two things.. either understanding and respect (if the answer is intelligent, and still compassionate) while still holding your POV... or it can make you realize exactly WHY your POV is what it is.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I don't believe in debate - I believe in respectful discussion. I do believe that people are capable of considering the POV of others, if done in a respectful manner. Trying to force feed someone something, though, doesn't work, and insulting them in the process doesn't help either. I don't think that changing someone's mind is ever a large possibility, but it happens sometimes - although it shouldn't be the motive of your discussion. I feel that trying to sway someone is quite rude. Its more important to share and to learn to respect each other and each other's beliefs.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2010