Do you believe in the "miracle" of Stride Rite walking shoes?

So many people claim stride rite walking shoes literally work miracles and they will get your baby walking in no time. Do you think so? Did/Will you buy these $50 shoes?

I bought them for my daughter because she has ankle issues and her doctor recommended them, but I don't know if I would have if the ankle issues didn't exist.

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 12:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I had a set of AFOs made for my daughter so she gets exactly what support she needs. I think that Stride Rite makes good shoes, but I don't believe they work any "Miracles". If your daughter really needs something extra to help her walk, she should be seen by a pediatric orthopedic doctor.

Good Luck

http://www.pediatric-orthopedics.com/Topics/Walking_AFOs/AFO/afo.html
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• nope. babies walk when they are ready. it's better to leave them barefoot or wearing soft soled shoes while they are learning, unless they have an issue where they need extra support.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• OP- Her ankles aren't too bad, but her doctor said the stride rites would help. He is waiting until she is older to see if she needs to see an orthopedic. (She's 11 months) He mainly suggested them because she was trying to walk and kept twisting her ankles, not badly but enough to make her cry each time.

I have a friend that claims her baby went from taking 1-2 steps to full walking in 12 hours because of these shoes. I've heard other people say it was a day or two and their baby was walking great..
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Miracle? Please. They are shoes and babies are supposed to learn to walk without shoes...it's easier and healthier. Shoes are for going outside.
    We only used Stride Rite for our son because we were having issues finding shoes to fit him. He was 11 months and already walking. Took him in to be measured and he was a 5 1/2 extra wide already (his sister was 2 and only just moved into a size 6, lol).
    He had the plain white walking shoes (like the kind our parents wore when they were babies). He wore them for about 6 weeks before he outgrew them. I can't see spending $50 every 2 months for shoes for my kids. We went to Payless for his next pair.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2010