This is a real question...

what are the beliefs of a Christian, and what are the differences between that and like Methodist (sp) or Lutheren, etc...

I really have tried to search this and I cant find any sites or info that I can understand...I would really like to know...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Methodists and Lutherans are Christians, so there aren't very many differences, except for maybe the order they do their church services.

A Christian believes that theyr'e a sinner, and knows they need forgiveness from a Holy God. They believe that Jesus is God's son, and He came to earth in the flesh born of a virgin, and His death on the cross was the punishment for the sins of every person who would ever inhabit the earth, and the punishment for thier sins. They believe that this is how we are reconciled with God. They believe that in prayer, we can repent of our sins, turn from them, accept the sacrifice of Christ for our sins, and recieve forgiveness from God.

That's the basics of Christianity, right there.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 12:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• well Methodists and Lutherans are denominations of Christianity, so that may be part of your struggle. im not sure about all the different denominations beliefs, but im sure their are ladies on here who can tell you where to find them.

generally speaking, most Christians believe that Jesus was the son of God, was crucified for humanities sins, and was then raised from the dead, then ascended into Heaven.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Probably because they all consider themselves Christians.

The church of Christ is straight bible teaching. you can go to that website and look up the core beliefs there.
    Most other denominations believe that baptism isn't necessary, all you have to do is say the "sinner's prayer" and you are saved. Generally christians believe baptism is a BIGGIE--not the be all end all of heaven or hell, but something you DO and want to do when you know Christ. Christians take the bible for what it is... don't try to twist it and change things (homosexuality IS a sin, eating shellfish is ok... all those things non-christians or other denoms may bash). I think there are more differences than people realize between straight "christian" and baptist, methodist, presbyterian, etc. And as far as catholics go... well that should be easy to find the differences. If you have any SPECIFIC questions, PM me and if i dont know, ill find out! :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• religioustolerance.org
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• >I think there are more differences than people realize between straight "christian" and baptist, methodist, presbyterian, etc. <

Absolutely - the biggest one being we don't think we're "more" or "better" Christian than you because we practice our faith differently.

I *am* Christian. I believe in God the Father Almighty, make of heaven and Earth. I believe in Jesus Christ His only Son, conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, crucified, dead and buried. I believe he rose the dead and ascended into heaven where He sits to the right of God the Father and from where He shall judge the quick and dead. I believe in the Holy Ghost, the forgiveness of sins, and life everlasting. . . AND I observe all this through membership in a Presbyterian Church. The difference between you and me? It's surface stuff. It's in the details as defined by some human interpreting the divine.
    Anonymous