Sticking to a strict schedule?

Hi, I was jus wondering how many momma's out there actually stick to a strict schedule and how many use a schedule as a "guideline". I've just started Noah on an actual schedule and I'm finding it pretty hard to stick to it perfectly.

tiptopgurl88

Asked by tiptopgurl88 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Toddlers thrive on routine. They like to know that after A is done, B happens. But they also like some flexibility. They want to know that if the clouds are really pretty, they don't have to walk all the way to the library for storytime (our library is a toddler friendly distance from where we live, lol). If necessary, we just walk to the park in between our house and the library, lie on the grass, and look at the clouds.
    Routine is good. Predictability is good. Strict schedule, probably not so much.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Don't call it a schedule, call it a routine. That way if you don't do everything exactly how you planned it out, you won't be disappointed:-)
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 12:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• if you stick to a schedule too strictly, it can make a child very inflexible. We have a general schedule>> and our kids are happy, well rounded and well behaved. We do things in more of an order than a time, for instance, the kids may not get up till ten on the weekends, and naptime comes about three to four hours after they wake up. My toddler likes to have a big drink as soon as she gets up, then potty, but breakfast comes a bit later. She has fruit right away, and something more substantial after i have my coffee. We may run errands next or we may play, depends on the day.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• That is very very true :) My mom is hounding me and making me feel bad for not having a super strict schedule for Noah... I just feel like I'm not gonna force him to sleep if he's not tired
    tiptopgurl88

Answer by tiptopgurl88 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• We go by a routine. It is more of a guideline. I do agree that if you make them stick to a schedule too harshly, they're going to break down when something doesn't go as planned. Make a routine for structure, but allow time for change too.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I believe that a schedule or routine can be a Godsend or a curse. On the one hand you know exactly what to expect. You know that your child will start to get fussy around naptime. And then it's time to put him down. One the other hand it's hard to really do anything "out of the ordinary" because you know he's going to start getting fussy around naptime. Like today, we had a doctor's appointment at 915am. Naptime is 10am. Well, by the time the doctor actually came in and examined my son it was 940 or so. Then we had to wait for the nurses to come in and give him his shots. By this time it's almost 10 and we are starting to melt down. You can tell time by my son. Which is my fault cause I think I was a little too strict about it.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 12:45 AM on Mar. 16, 2010