Getting Noah to fall asleep on his own? Self-soothe?

I feel so stupid, my son is 14 months old and I have no idea how to get him to fall asleep on his own. When we stay at his dad's place in town (long story) he has to sleep in the bed because he doesn't have a crib.
Now he won't sleep in his crib here AND now that I've just started him on a routine this past week, I have to lay down with him for close to an hour just to get him to sleep.
My mom's no help, she doesn't even attempt to give me advice and I don't know anyone else who are responsible enough parents to even try any kind of remedy to this kind of problem. (The mom's I know just drop baby off at grandma's every night to go party.)

I really just want Noah to be somfortable enough and SECURE enough to not need me to lay with him to fall asleep. I just have no clue how to do it. Any advice would be SO appreciated.

tiptopgurl88

Asked by tiptopgurl88 at 1:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• HI! We did the family bed and it worked for us for a long time. Then I got really sick and we ended up moving our kids to their rooms. What we had to do with my youngest is we first started out by laying with her. Then we moved to me sitting on the bed, then after that I moved to a chair and read a book. I read aloud....from grown up books. She adjusted, but it took time. Good luck.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Bottom line is he needs to learn how to put himself to sleep. It is easier when you start much younger, but better late than never. First off, a bedtime routine is a must. Ours is usually bath, then bed. She associates bathtime with bedtime. Next, consider some kind of comfort item. Mine has a small plush pillow that she's been attached to for about 6 mos. now. Once you put the pillow in her arms, she is ready to sleep. Cry it out is going to have to come into play, but they do learn and even the most stubborn child won't cry forever. He needs a consistent sleep place, as well.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:20 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• It may just take a while. You can try getting up and sitting in a chair next to the bed once he's drowsier, and just keep moving the chair closer to the door. I dunno. I never had that problem, really.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:22 AM on Mar. 16, 2010