How to discipline a 19 month old?

I know it's a "stage" but I'm trying everything and nothing seems to be getting through. I yell, he ignores me. I redirect, he screams his head off cuz he can't have what he wants. I spank, he laughs and spanks himself too. I don't want to end up with a brat for a child because I'm a clueless new mommy! Any other advice on how I can teach him right from wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We've been using time out with our son since he could walk. One minute for every year of age. We had to sit with him and hold him there at first, but now, he sits there (with some supervision) until he hears the timer go off. Then we make him apologize (he has a sign for it) and give the person he hurt or the parent who put him in timeout a kiss. If he is still misbehaving, back he goes, and if he hits or something in timeout, then he gets another minute. If he screams and cries or even throws a tantrum in timeout, so be it, but as long as he is behaving when he is finished, then we're good. So far, it's working out well. Some days, he gets more than others, even 10 in an hour one day, but this goes back to consistency being key. We give him one warning on things he may not know aren't okay, but no warnings on major offenses or bigger things where he knows better.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• redirect and let him throw his fit...eventually he will learn that it doesn't work.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 1:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Redirect him and let him throw the fit. That's what I did with my now 32 month old. He's learning that his fits don't get a reaction from me and the fits have become shorter and shorter over time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I used, and still do if I have to, a switch. It is what works for mine. It may not yours. Sure there have been streaks left on his legs but it's not going to HURT them, it stings. I remember getting the switch when we were kids. And now my brother and I are damn fine adults and parents. Do our kids listen? Yep. You better believe it. Whatever method you use stick to it!! You have to be stern with them for about a year and at 18 months is when I started with mine. They know NO means NO. They do not keep on asking or throw their fits or I will nip it in the bud and they know that. My son is 2. 5 now and he's got it pretty much figured out, what mom says goes. Don't ask questions. Good luck
    Anonymous