what the best way to transition my 5month old from breast mil to formula...because hes not taking it at all?

babygoins09

Asked by babygoins09 at 2:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmmm, have you tried bottle with breastmilk? Will he take a bottle first and foremost?
    If yes, then what you need to do is "trick" his palate by very slooowly weining him. You want to start out with 1 part formula, 3 parts breastmilk (example: In a 4 oz bottle, 1 oz formula to 3 ounces breastmilk.) You want to do that for 2 days, then go 2 parts formula and 2 parts breastmilk for 2 days, and then 3 parts formula to 1 part breastmilk for another 2 days. He won't even notice the taste, and doing it this way allows his tummy to get used to it.
    Also, consider the kind of formula. Noah was breastfed for 6 months and hated formula. But he did love Enfamil A+ (Premium in the States). It is a little on the pricey side, but after about a month on that I switched to the Enfamil with Iron and he has done great!
    tiptopgurl88

Answer by tiptopgurl88 at 2:56 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• When you get the best it is very hard to switch to something sub par. Listen to baby and continue to give him the best. He deserves it!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Be aware that babies will often refuse formula because of taste or because it makes them feel sick.

Is there a specific reason why you fell you need to have to switch?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I had to give my daughter formula because we (dh and I) attend a financial class every thursday and I ran out of my breastmilk supply. Anyway, she will take formula for the sitters if it is in a sippy cup. I bought a soft nuby one. She refuses to use a bottle. Maybe you could try that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• You may need to let someone else do it for you. Babies will often refuse bottles from mom.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2010