formula...no criticism please, only formula moms answer

i plan to formula feed. my FIL told me that they ask you at the hospital whether you will breast feed or formula feed and if you choose formula they give you a pill to harden the milk. is this true? does it make your boobs shrivel up? would i be better off not taking it and let my boobs go back to normal naturally?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they dont give the pill anymore cause the FDA said it can cause to many problems. i only BF for a little less then 3 mths and realized it wasnt for me. it took a little while to "dry" up and my boobs were very sore, try wearing a tight fitted bra like a sports bra, or whatever feels most comfortable to you. The hospital is going to try to get you to bump or BF but if your fully set on only formula then just tell them no. its your choice, your baby not theres. and formula is just fine for a child to drink. GL mama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• A pill? Oh wow, thats a new one to me. I had dd 4 months ago and they never gave me a pill. They did ask that I at least try to breastfeed her and I did. Just be open and honest with your nurses and doctor at the hospital and tell them how you are feeling. Wether you breastfeed for not they may still give your baby a bottle of formula to help her/him get full until your breastmilk fully matures. Good luck mommy.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 2:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• A pill? I have never heard of that, interesting. I only formula fed my oldest and never heard of it, then again that was 12 years ago so things may have changed, my last baby was 5 years ago but i never asked about other options since i was BF'ing her.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:23 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• thank you so much
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Mar. 16, 2010