Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work for the mentally challenged?

My brother is graduating HS this summer and he's mentally challenged. He's high functioning and has passed several tests to confirm his disability, so the state thinks nothing is wrong with him. But everyone around us, and my family can tell he's not "normal". He constantly picks fights with my niece and daughter and rather play with them rather then people in his age group.

Is there a program out there to help him work? I looked some things up and all the jobs listing were for people with disabilities like due to war. Any advice would help.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • ???? this is a real problem still looking myself,good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • i would try contacting a group like Easter Seals.

    Answer by sati769leigh at 4:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • Check with local social services agencies.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • I'm sure there are services out there. The small town I went to college in had a high number of disabled adults (like a lot, not sure what was going on in that area) so they had a work study program where they met every day (like school) took classes and then either worked there or were given jobs in the area. Area businesses signed up to work with the program.
    I worked at one of the college cafeterias and we had 3 or 4 of these adults working with us. The one drove me nuts. He was a nice enough guy but he was 40 something years old with the mental capacity of an 8yo (they had him tested). He also had the attention span of an 8yo. I was constantly having to tell him to get back to work and stop bothering people because he would stand around talking. He tried, though, and was willing to work so I tried to be patient.

    Answer by justanotherjen at 8:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • You are looking for vocational services. There should be some non-profit agencies that offer these services in your area. Easter Seals is a great start. Your local Department of Social Services office (DSS) should have more information on referrals to these agencies. The intake people at the different vocational services agencies should be able to talk to you more about funding for vocational assistance. Usually even people who do not qualify for full Medicaid can still get some rehabilitation or vocational services.

    This is different state to state so without knowing where you are there is no way to give you more specific information.

    Answer by beckcorc at 8:33 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • If he has an IEP, then his school district should have started transitional planning when he was 14, 16 at the latest. If he has an IEP, he could not graduate & stay in public school & receive services until he is 21, which means he could attend a votech program or a "school to work" program for individuals with disabilties, either of which could give him employable skills. If he has a Service Coordinator through your Dept. of Public Welfare's MR/DD dept., he or she should be able to help you with transitional services planning, too. Your local Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) can also help with transitional planning for students with IEPs or 504 Agreements.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.