21 month old who won't sleep through the night

I need some help! I have a 21 month old who refuses to sleep through the night. She has been doing this off and on for months. She will wake up during the night and scream and cry for hours!!!! When I first hear her I won't go in there right away thinking maybe she will fall back asleep. Once I know she isn't going back to sleep on her own I will go in there and check her diaper and make sure nothing else is wrong. I will lay her back down rub her head for alittle bit to soothe her and leave. Within minutes she is back up again screaming and crying. I have tried turning the sound off the monitor so my husband can sleep but that way I can still see her. She has the loudest scream and cry ever. Even with the sound off we can hear her like shes sitting next to me. My other concern is that we are expecting our son in 2 weeks, how do I break my daughter of this???

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 5:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its gonna be tough, you have to stop going in to her unless she reaches THAT point of distress. she has learned you will eventually give in. now you have a tougher road ahead of you to break this but you can if you dont give in. it feels horrible. but she has to get on a normal sleep cycle. healthier for ALL of you.

have you tried music? i used to play a lullabye CD for my son at night, or maybe a light up musical toy of some kind?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• She has a seahorse in her crib and his belly lights up and plays soft music for about 5 minutes. That used to be what would get her to sleep but now that doesn't work either! I don't go in her room right away at all, I usually let her cry for awhile. I will go in there once she is really screaming or crying just to check her and then I leave and she continues to cry. Tonight she was up from 1 - 4:45am Screaming and crying the entire time. It is now getting to the point that my husband and I fight during the night because neither one of us is sleeping and hes been working 15 hour days. I just need to get this under control before the baby comes.
    MommytoBe987

Answer by MommytoBe987 at 6:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• i would say she needs something longer than 5 minutes. get a cheap cd player and a baby lullabye cd. that way it can be on for a while.
    if this has been going on a while, and NOTHING is working, i would make sure you have taken her to the Dr. has she ever had issues with acid reflux? cause that could be something that is causing this too.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• There are so many views on letting your child scream.......not letting them scream. I tried both. I have 5 children and know how you and your husband feel. The stress would get to us as a couple as well. Stay clam, very important. BREATHE. This will pass and I think you should go in as soon as u hear her screaming/crying. I agree with the acid reflux statement above. But mainly there could be so many reasons for her doing this. Sleep terrors, thrashing spells. Does she seem awake and alert? Sometimes they seem awake but there are not and thrashing spells can last a while. This will pass. I have children who are 10, 3, 4 and 2 (twins) and I have not had a good nights sleep in almost 11 years. GOOD LUCK...............
    mom25nstafford

Answer by mom25nstafford at 6:41 AM on Mar. 16, 2010