HELP 7 year old has toothache and swollen cheek.

About 8 months ago I took her to the dentist he did one of those temp filling well lately she had said it hurt and we were in the middle of moveing so I have put off taking her well in the past few days she has complained it really hurt i gave her child pain reliever and gel and then she woke up this morning with her cheek swollen Its her first lower molar has this happened to anyone and what is going to happen when I take her to the dentist today..

nicoal4

Asked by nicoal4 at 8:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• she is likely gonna need an anti-biotic. tooth pain specially in children, is nothing to put off. children AND adults can die from infections in thier mouths. it can go to the brain. I understand you were moving, but err child in pain should be a prioroty not a it can be done later. now your child is really suffering. i hope you dont do this again.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• 8 months is a long time with a temp.That is why they call it a temporary filling. It's temporary. Lucky it lasted this long.
    t depends on the dentist but usually they don't do anything till the infection is gone. Just antibiotic and pain relievers for a few days. Then they will fiil it or pull it if it is a baby tooth. She could possibly need a root canal in the end.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Sounds like an abcess. She will probably have to have it pulled so that all that infection can ooze.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I agree, it sounds infected. Going to the dentist today is the right choice. While I agree with Sati about the seriousness of mouth infections, don't beat yourself up. You didn't realize how serious it was, and now that you do you're taking the right steps.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 11:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Thanks I took her to the dentist and yeap they pulled it but I had no idea that it got that bad that fast or I would have never let it go I also didn't have insurance and was trying to find some I could afford thats why I went 8 months the dentist that did it said it should be fine for a year and he should have gotten it all out when he put the temp filling on I had NO idea they would leave something in there and just cover it the dentist that did her work was a little shocked as well. I did beat my self up at first but i think all moms do when something goes wrong and you don't take care of it on time for whatever reason..But thanks for the advice
    nicoal4

Answer by nicoal4 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2010