How long after starting a new job is it acceptable to get pregnant?

I may be starting a new job soon BUT I was also hoping to conceive this summer. Now I'm thinking that may not be such a great idea...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i guess too it depends on the job. when i was waitressing i would not have cared one whit when i got pregnant. dime a dozen job. but say a better office job, or restaurant management? i would have waited at least a year .
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• not if you want to keep the job.............that isnt really fair to your employer is it?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:14 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• No sati, it's not. That's why the question is "How long should I wait?" I am wondering how soon IS fair to them. But thanks for not answering the question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• sorry anon, i got NO sleep last night. i would say at least a year. that way you are more invested in the company.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I think it would be fine...its your choice when to have children...as a general rule I would think 6 months....and if you plan on getting pregnant this summer you wont go on maternity leave for most likely 8 to 9 months after that so by then it will be going on a year or longer
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 8:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Thanks Sati, I didn't want to get rude with you either, I'm just sensitive and highly emotional. I'm waiting to hear on this job and nervous about getting it and nervous about having to wait even longer to conceive because I've already put it off for other reasons.

Thanks Jocelynsmama, I guess you are right that the time spent being pregnant does count as well...

Ugh so torn!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• naw anon, i got your point. i kinda dilly dallied and didnt come across well. so no worries .
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I really do not think it is any of the Employers business if you get pregnant. But you might want to wait a full year after you start this job to get pregnant. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• most places you have to have been employed at least one year to qualify for any FMLA, so that will make a big difference
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• When you qualify for maternity leave.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2010