How to get my 7 yr old DD to wipe herself?

My DD is 7. Every time she goes to the bathroom she never wipes, after peeing. She even struggles with No.2. I have explained over and over how and why to wipe. Any suggestions?

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 8:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• how about using the disposable wet wipes for like during potty training? maybe she is super sensative in thaty area.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:54 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I tried that. It's like she's in a hurry or going to miss something...I don't know! It's frustrating!
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 9:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Hmmm, I was going to suggest the disposable wipes too.
    My son used to have a problem with wiping after he pooped...he just didn't do it,lol.
    So he would get a rash and a really itchy butt. After I explained why he would get the itchy butt he started to take better care of how he wiped. But i'm sure you've already explained this to her. I guess just time and she will eventually get it. Just have her holler for you after shes done using the bathroom so you can check her to make sure shes clean...maybe she'll grow tired of that and start doing it better herself.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Just out of curiosity, why did you let it go this long? You should have addressed this issue during potty training and should have been reinforcing it all this time.

You may have to go into the bathroom with her and supervise for a while. Show her the correct way to wipe (front to back), why we wipe and explain that she could get a very nasty painful infection if she does not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Yeah, but some kids do things for awhile and then stop. My kids all did the potty training thing then stopped for about six months until they were ready to start again. My daughter has been trained for about a year and unless I stand there and make her wipe, she won't.
    jennshart

Answer by jennshart at 11:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Monitor her wiping herself a bit of time. After that time, have her do it herself. When she comes out, ask her if she wiped or not (her body language should give her away or not.) If she says she didn't, or lies to you, make her go change her undies after monitoring her wiping. When she gets sick of changing her undies (and esentially getting undressed and redressed) after every bathroom visit she'll probably be more likely to wipe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• When you find out let me know. My son is 5 and is horrible about not wiping his butt!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2010