What is your custody areement?

I am wondering what others have for custody agreements that work, and both sides are happy.

prettyeyedmommy

Asked by prettyeyedmommy at 9:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• ha ha....my SO is definately not happy with the current arrangement....but he isnt willing to take her to court.....i just am along for the ride....ugh
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• wish i could say. my oldest was kidnapped by his father when he was about 2. so i would say that no, both parties are not happy with it. my oldest is now 17, has had his head filled with lies about me his whole life. it suckS
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My dh and I are still married, so we don't have one, but I can tell you what my sister has, and they seem to be happy with it - they've been doing it for over 10 yrs now. (It helps that they both live in the same area...) She has custody of the boys for 6 months, and he gets every other weekend visitation (though they are pretty flexible about switching weekends and stuff), and they can go visit during the week - especially during the summer and when there isn't school. Then, he gets them for 6 months, and she gets the visitation stuff, though my sister usually gets them more when he has them, because she's the one that will take them to their sports and stuff more than he does. They switch in the middle of summer (like mid July) and then 6 mos later. They don't do child support - but they split the big things like medical bills, etc.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• cont

For yrs, her ex lived in the better school district (it was a neighboring town), and my sister would drive them (or had someone else do it if she had to be at work then - she works shifts) to school there, so they didn't have to switch schools. When he wasn't able to afford his house there anymore and bought a house in a cheaper area, it was coincidentally when my sister had re-married and they were looking for a bigger house, so they just bought one in that district (her new dh doesn't have this same custody setup with his kids, so...), so her kids didn't switch schools. Now, her ex and his wife drive them when they have them and it's still during the school yr.

They split the holidays.

It might seem like a weird setup, but it works for them, and has for yrs.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• i have the kids full time, ex getts supervised visits for now 4 hours a week till he learns to control anger issues and not yell at the court lady again when she recommends how visits go.......some pple really dont know when to keep thier mouth closed.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My DH and I are married, but when I was little, my parents divorced (although they remarried 6 months later!). My mom moved out. My dad stayed in the house. My mom kept me for a week, then my dad kept me for a week. I still went to the same school and not much really changed. It didn't really bother me too much, but I remember always missing the other parent and feeling like I was leaving that parent alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I have full sole custody. I'm happy because I have full say in the children, and he is happy because he doesn't have to spend time fathering girls. Sad, but true.
    Shlamoof

Answer by Shlamoof at 10:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My mom had full custody, we stayed with my dad every other weekend and went out to dinner with him one night a week every week. They alternated holidays, and we usually spent spring break and a week of Christmas break with my dad. Everyone seemed happy, but I was just a kid, so I don't know what their real feelings were (like for instance, I found out a few years ago that my mom always referred to my dad as "The 'Rhoid" -- as in hemorrhoid -- enough to make someone in her office think his name was Roy, that's how much she disliked him, but she never had that attitude around my sister and me, so there's no telling what else I missed).

I think it will depend a lot on the parties involved. The only reason my dad would ever have wanted any more than he had was to spite my mom; she was better suited to child-rearing than he was. But that's not the case with everyone, sometimes the dad is better, sometimes equal. Just depends.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My SO and I don't have formal custody arrangements for now, but I am the custodial parent to our 20 month old daughter. Her father is allowed to see her whenever his schedule allows it. I am the main decision-maker as far as our daughter's health and well-being are concerned, but I do talk to him first before making major decisions.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My 18-month-old daughter lives with me. Her dad has her on Wednesday and Friday, but no overnights for now.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2010