Is it normal to poop a lot (at least 5 times a day) when you have your period?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Health

• For some women, yes. The hormonal changes during that time of the month can cause bowel changes. Depending on how your body reacts to these hormones, it can cause constipation or frequent & loose stools.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• LOL...I've often wondered the same thing. My normal is once every few days and when my period is about to start and when its here I think my body is making up for the missed days and cleaning itself out,makes me feel lighter though. LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I actually saw this on the Doctors show last month...it can be caused by your body's hormones. Your body produces hormones/chemicals telling you to "release" your lining and it can have a similar effect on your bowels...also the reason for the "runs" and gas that sometimes accompanies it.
    Anonymous

• I poop more when I am on my period. But I always thought it was because my abdominal region was cramping therefore sort of pushing it out and making my tummy a bit upset.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My system certainly cleans itself out when I'm menstrating.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I don't particularly have to poop a lot, it seems, but when I was cramping badly, the act of taking a crap, for lack of a better term, would relive some of the pain of the cramps.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I do.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:53 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• LOL....good question.....I was achually thinking about posting this when I was on mine last week lol...cause I normally can go anywhere from 1-4 days without going number 2 then when I am on my period like anon above said must be making up for not going and cleaning me out on my period. I achually thought something was wrong with me I thought I was the only one that does this glad to know I am not the only one and that nothing is wrong with me lol. But ya when I am on my time of the month I go at least 4 times a day if not more when my normal is 1 time every 1-4 days lol not sure if that is normal either though lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• There's not really a big change for me but then I already go 3-4 times a day any way. Generally I may go 1-2 times more when I am on my period but not always.

mommy5409--you should actually be going #2 at least twice a day. Anything less than that means that you are constipated and it's not good for your body have fecal matter backed up in your intestines. The ideal amount would be after each meal so if you eat 3 meals a day then you should have 3 bm's a day. Adding a bit more fiber to your diet helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I poop alot when Im on it !!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2010