The Bible

For non christians...If you believe the bible has not revelance, is just a myth and bunch of fairy tales why not let your kids read it just as they would any other mythical, or fairy tale book?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont' think my kids would want to read the bible, it wouldn't be entertaining enough lol. That and the old testament if full of violence, slavery, sexism, and my kids don't need to learn about that. As far as the new testament, some of the stories in there are great. Jesus' birth is amazing. My kids know that one. But Jesus being flayed and nailed to a cross isn't something they would find interesting, and would infact find it disturbing.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:23 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I probably will do that if/when she ever shows interest in it. I will present it as a book of fables that some early men used to guide them through life, and I will explain that although there are some people who still follow it, it is all but irrelevant now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• there is alot of things in the bible that is not real and i don't want my daughter reading something like that i will teach her my way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't call it all myth. There is plenty of history recorded there, such as wars, rulers, and politics. It has had a huge influence on our society, so I don't ignore the importance of it, even if I don't believe in the miracles and acts of God/Jesus.

That being said, I find many of the stories to be disturbing, where God is perfectly fine with killing or severely punishing anyone who ignores or betrays him. My daughter will be welcome to read the book if she's interested and old enough to make sense of it, but I'm much happier reading Dr. Seuss to her for now.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I never said the Bible was myth or faery tales. I said it was full of metaphorical teaching stories mixed with history. There are many great lessons to be learned from the Bible. That doesn't mean I have to believe that every word is absolute truth to be taken as complete fact.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:56 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I do. My kids have a book of Bible stories and I read it to them. Just as I do the myths of my faith and others... Just because I believe it's myth doesn't mean it's not entertaining or even educational. Christianity is one of the major religions in the world right now, while I don't believe that will be the case much longer i do believe that children need a basis of understanding when it comes to other peoples beliefs and lifestyles...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I should also add that while I believe the bible is mostly myth, I believe like all religious mythologies there is a good part of the bible which is historical or at least based on history. All myths are like this, they are at least loosely based in truth, the bible is no different!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My children are just to young. There is a lot of things in the bible that are just way to violent, x rated, well you understand. If they used the same parental coding system for the bible that they did for movies, video games, and books it would be rated for adults only. If they are older and want to read it fine, but at this age I just do not think it is age appropriate.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• She's only 2 and cant read yet.

But when she comes of age...she will be allowed to read whatever text she wishes.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I have never denied my children age appropriate reading material.  The bible is not appropriate for young children.  My daughters are teenagers now and can read anything they want.  I have a bible that they have easy access to but they have showed no interest in it whatsoever.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2010